Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 9, 2008, 12:45 PM   #1

I would like to purchase a camera for the express purpose of photographing items in my collections. I know that this is an issue about lenses, so my question would be what camera body and what lens would be best for photographing medals and minerals?
Keffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2008, 1:33 PM   #2

Best? that leaves open a world of possibilities. Better to state how much you have to spend. Most inexpensive P&S cameras can do fair macro work. You can even get macro lens attachments with appropriate adapters for many that do a great job. What kind of image quality are you looking for? Do you want a dSLR, which would provide you tailorability. Will it always stay on a copy stand or will you be taking it outdoors?

For example, I often use a Canon EOS body and an EF 100mm Canon macro lens. While my body is a 30D, the cheaper XT or XTi might be all you need.

And if the super-sharp EF100 is not good enough, you could look at Canon's expensive MP65 lens which is exclusively for macro shots andproduces simply outstanding images.

Anyway, do state a price range and I bet you will get a lot of good suggestions across the many brands and models that are available!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 1:56 PM   #3

There are lots of options for macro - you aren't limited to dSLR cameras. If you want a dSLR, any of the entry dSLR cameras have lens options that would make them work well. I do lots of macro and use Pentax with an older Vivitar Series One 105mm lens that is very sharp. I think one of the first questions you need to answer for yourself is whether you want a dSLR or not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:28 PM   #4

It may not be what you are looking for, but the Canon SX-100 at around $(US) 225.00 focuses as close as 1cm and produces excellent results.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:45 PM   #5

Thanks, guys. Already I am reading helpful information.

As for price range, I am considering between $500 and $750. My plan is to use the camera almost totally for macro work, mounted on a tripod. Clarity and using light to an advantage are important motivations for me.

I have been using a Nikon Coolpix 4300, but I no longer am satisfied with the results. I would continue touse the 4300 for genral use.

Keffel is offline   Reply With Quote