Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 9, 2008, 5:45 PM   #1

I am considering buying the D80 and just noticed it used a SD card where most of the other Nikons (including the D70) use compact flash.

Why did Nikon change? What are the pros/cons of the SD card over the CF card?
Cinciphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2008, 5:58 PM   #2

The SD cards are smaller, and became as cheap as the CF cards.... That's what I think!

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:22 PM   #3

SD Cards are smaller, so the camera can be smaller.

They also use less current, so battery life is longer.

They cost about the same as CF cards.

Manufacturers release the fastest and highest capacity cards in SD and CF formats before the other formats.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:27 PM   #4

All the info TC gives is correct. The pro-level cameras and older bodies use Cf mainly because of storage size. Up until recently, CF card capacities were much larger, allowing you to shoot more without changing cards constantly. Now, SD cards are rapidly approaching capacities of CF cards. I would expect the trend to continue towards SD.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:20 PM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
All the info TC gives is correct. The pro-level cameras and older bodies use Cf mainly because of storage size. Up until recently, CF card capacities were much larger, allowing you to shoot more without changing cards constantly. Now, SD cards are rapidly approaching capacities of CF cards. I would expect the trend to continue towards SD.
Yes. The primary reason the high-end cameras used the CF format was to include support for the IBM/Hitachi Microdrives which were fully functional hard disk drives that fit into a CF Card slot. The Micordrives had reliability problems, and flash memory devices have surpassed the Microdrives in capacity, so the main reason for supporting CF cards is gone. The only reason to continue to support CF cards is because so many people already have so many of them.

But CF cards aren't going anywhere. In addition to digital cameras, PDAs, MP3 Players and inumerable other devices use CF cards. I just upgraded two Internet Routers from the 1GB CF Cards they boot from, to 2GB .
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:36 PM   #6

Nikon started using SD cards in its DSLRs with the entry level D40 model. There is less chance of breaking pins in the connector with a SD card than a CF card.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:06 AM   #7

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
Nikon started using SD cards in its DSLRs with the entry level D40 model. There is less chance of breaking pins in the connector with a SD card than a CF card.
Actually they started using SD in 2005 with the D50. The D80 in late 2006 also used SD. The D40, D40x and D60 all followed suit later on.

Quote:
But CF cards aren't going anywhere. In addition to digital cameras, PDAs, MP3 Players and inumerable other devices use CF cards. I just upgraded two Internet Routers from the 1GB CF Cards they boot from, to 2GB .
This is true. CF cards are fast and durable and still hold the highest capacities. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:01 PM   #8

Ok, question #2:

I am looking online at prices for the D80, just need the body, and the prices vary GREATLY. I have seen some places advertising like Sonic Cameras advertising them for $500. I have also read Sonic Cameras reviews and they are bait and switch masters.

So where can I buy the D80 cheap and what would be a good but realistic deal on it?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:09 PM   #9

Also, I would consider a used D80 but the prices on Ebay don't seem that much better than new from a store. I would also consider a lens kit if it was an insanely good deal, I am trying to stay as cheap as possible though and plan to keep most of my equipment from my D70
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:21 PM   #10

Adorama has a new D80 for $729.95, and a refurbished one for $639.95.

B&H also has it for$729.95.

Beach Camera has it for $719.

I would be very suspicious of any prices below these.