Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:47 PM   #1

My good friends from this forum and site, hello!

Once again I return to this great source of "all things cam" knowledge to ask for more advice concerning an importante decision i have upon myself. (lghss)

About 5/6 years ago, with the help of the folks from this very forum, I decided upon the purchase of a Canon A70 digital cam, which turned out to be an excellent purchase, with some minor drawbacks, but overall much more successfull than the other model I had in mind (Sony P70).

Now its time to replace my beloved A70, and I need some words of wisdon. Could you folks read thru my comments below and suggest me a good camera? THanks!

Please consider the following:

- I LOVE the coloring and the image quality of the A70, which was way better than the Sonys P70/90 of that time, specially the reds. So, image quality for me, fidelity to the real colors of the object photographed is a must;

- I take 99% of my pictures indoors;

- 100% of the pictures are of my kids (5 and 6 years), which means I need a cam that can getREADY to shot in a stupidly short amount of time and that can shot yet another picture in a fraction of nanosecond after the 1st shot was taken (and the A70 is HORRIBLE on both those features...);

- I need a camera that opens up FAST! The A70 takes AGES to open the lenses and get ready for the first shoot after I press the TURN ON button, and that already made me loose many great pics of my kids;

- I make a lot of movies of the kids, and the A70 avi are a killer. Only problem is they are too short (29 seconds). So i need a camera that can shot great movies just like the A70, but that can shot them longer (Sonys were horrible back them in image quality, but could them infinite video shots);

- The focusing process takes AGES, the time between the first press of the shoot button and the time the camera has focused and can actually shoot takes probably miliseconds, but those milisencos when you are shooting kids can ruin a good moment. I need to get RID of that problem!!

- A camera that is not to sensitive to movement, because when you are taking kids pictures, sometimes its difficult to be absolutely steady. (A friend has a Sony W55 and tells me he has this problem with the camera, many of his kids pics are usually out of focus);

So, basically:
- Image quality close to real colors;
- FAST readyness for 1st shot, and for subsequent shoots;
- Great videos with no time limit;
- Writes to the media card extremelly FAST;
- A camera that has "motion compensation", like some camcorders;

I believe the camera world has evolved a LOT since my A70 purchase, and probably some of the drawbacks I found on the P70/90 are now gone. Same thing concerning the slowness of the A70.

Anyway, I need a FAST camera, with great image quality and that can also handle good video footage.

Suggestions, please??? I loved the Canon, specially the image quality on videos/photos, but Im not sure if all Canons are as slow as mine. If I could get a camera with the same image quality but FASTER, it would be perfect. Any SOny model could do the job??

Megapixels - Im pretty happy with the 3.2 of the A70, so a 200megapixel cam for me is useless. If I get a 7mpxel, i´ll use it as 3.2, or 5 tops.

Zoom - a good zoom is a very nice thing to have, but i learned from practice that the only problem is that its useless indoors, because when you use zoom, you are letting less light get into the lens, so you need MORE light on the object to compensate, and since indoors its hard to get with a builtin flash,it decreases the image quality a lot. If a camera has a zoom feature that can compensates for that, thanI want it!!!

THANKS!!

mabhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:20 PM   #2
Administrator

mabhz wrote:
Quote:
- I take 99% of my pictures indoors;

- 100% of the pictures are of my kids (5 and 6 years), which means I need a cam that can getREADY to shot in a stupidly short amount of time and that can shot yet another picture in a fraction of nanosecond after the 1st shot was taken (and the A70 is HORRIBLE on both those features...);
With most non-DSLR camera models, you'll need to use a flash indoors. Otherwise, you'll get motion blur from subject movement if the kids are not still.

That means the flash system will need time to recharge (which may take 2 to 4 seconds or longer, depending on the camera model, distance to subject, etc.). Some may take closer to 8 seconds. 4 seconds is considered good for a full power flash. A closer subject will allow a faster recycle time, and a further away subject will need a slower recycle time (because a longer flash burst is being used, fully discharging the capacitor).

If you read the review conclusion sections for models you consider here (it's the last page before the sample images in each model's review), Steve usually covers the type of things you're interested in (Startup time, Autofocus Speed, cycle times between photos with and without a flash, etc.).

A good place to start your search is our Best Cameras List (models deemed to be a good value within their market niche).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:06 PM   #3

Thanks, Jim C!

Thats exactly what I did last time, a few years ago, when I was purchasing the A70, and thats exactly what i wasnt willing to do....

The problem is it took me weeks of reading, analysing images, comparing, color handling, video shoting, forum posts comments, etc, etc, and it ended up as being one of the hardest processes, yet most sucessfull ones, of my life. I just dont want to go thru that again.

What i was really hoping is that some expert would be so kind to read my comment and post me 3 camera models that would suit me perfectly, and THEN, I would check image samples and specs of these.....

Do you think thats possible???
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:23 PM   #4

You ask a lot from a camera. A DSLR would give you the best results for still photos but DSLR's are expensive and do not shoot videos.

However, the new Canon A590IS, which recently came out, has been getting very good reviews and it may meet all your needs. It takes sharp pictures, even in low light, has quick, reliable autofocusing, optical image stabilization and motion detection compensation. It's a quick performer all around. Further, its price is very reasonable for such a good camera. I'd take a close look at it if I were you.

AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:32 PM   #5

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
You ask a lot from a camera. A DSLR would give you the best results for still photos but DSLR's are expensive and do not shoot videos.

However, the new Canon A590IS, which recently came out, has been getting very good reviews and it may meet all your needs. It takes sharp pictures, even in low light, has quick, reliable autofocusing, optical image stabilization and motion detection compensation. It's a quick performer all around. Further, its price is very reasonable for such a good camera. I'd take a close look at it if I were you.
Thanks a lot, Andy!

This model is fancier or simplier than the Canon A701 or A650??

Do you think Sonys wont cope with what I need?? Do they still put out noisier images compared to Canons (of course, in the same price range)??
Old Mar 11, 2008, 1:11 AM   #6

The A590 will take photos that are of very similar quality to the A710 (the A720 is the current version) and the A650. The other cameras have slightly more zoom, but the A590 has motion detection compensation, which the others don't have.

Sony makes lots of good ultracompact cameras but few larger compacts like the Canons. The only compact it makes is the H3, which is a good camera, but I prefer the Canons.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:47 AM   #7

The A590, A7x0, A650, all have a very similar body structure like the A70, which is VERY, VERY slow to open up and get ready to shot after you press the start button.

These cameras, because of similar body, have the same lag, or they are considerably faster??

A friend has a Sony W55 and I was very impressed with the speed of lens opening and the viewfinder, but i cant comment the image quality. Is it a good camera? Image up to par with the Canos A series like the 70, 650, etc, etc???