Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:13 PM   #1

Hello,

I'm looking for a good camera to photograph my art work (paintings, up to 5' x 6'). I'm looking at the Canon SX100 IS, as it's inexpensive (typical artist comment, huh?), seems to have a lens that could reduce the fish-eye affect on the larger pieces, and because I've always loved my Canon cameras. What I have now is a Canon S50, and while I love it, I need more MegaPixels for finer print quality. Honestly, I'm a painter, not a photographer, and I could be way off base with this as a choice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
oldart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2008, 5:40 PM   #2

Well, I'm not an expert, but wouldn't a decent scanner do a good job?

Although your painting may be to big).
Andrew P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 5:48 PM   #3

Depending on how many pieces of art you're talking about, you may be better off paying someone to do it. The results will probably be better than you would get from an inexpensive P&S digicam.

And if you want a lot of shots, borrow other people's cameras, or ask them to take some shots, and see what you think of the results.

If this is all you've got in mind for a digicam, finding one that didn't have a lot of geometric distortion, and had consistant sharpness from center to edge tocorner, might be frustrating.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 6:40 PM   #4

Wehave a substantial art collection. Naturally, we have recorded each painting for insurance purposes. I actually found that digicams are better at completing this chore. I used a Sony H-3 camera with 100% success.

Either the Sony H-3 or the Canon SX-100 would do the job just about equally well at a rather low cost.We have found the H-3 to be a great family camera as well, that I can carry in my purse very easily. Perhaps this is a workable alternative for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:10 PM   #5

Hey all,

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. The number of pieces I need to photograph makes the cost of having someone else do the job for me prohibitive.javascript:emoticon(':shock:',%20'imag es/emoticons/sprachlos020.gif') I could buy a pretty fine DSLR for what I'd spend on the job! And yeah, my pieces are just too big for a scanner.

What I ended up doing was spending dizzying amounts of time researching cameras and checking out resolution, accurate color reproduction, etc., and buying the Sony H-7. I found it did better than many of the canons and others in several areas (esp. color), and at 8 Megapixels should allow me to shoot and print a high quality image at say 8" x 10". It might be wishful thinking, but if my smalll print is good enough, and I want an even larger dpi image than what the camera will give me, I figure I can then scan the 8" x 10" at a REALLY high res, and go from there.

Sarah... I was glad to hear of your success with the H-3 - it gave me added hope for the H-7! And I'll apparently be able to zoom way in on future painting subjects as well (a benefit when photographing grumpy bulls!).

I'll check in after the camera arrives and photos have been taken - hopefully with some good news re: an affordable camera that is painter friendly!

Thanks again...
oldart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:02 PM   #6

Old Art-

As long as you do not go to the far end (max zoom)of the zoom range with the Sony H-7,you should be alright. it sounds like you have a very good grip on the situation.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote