Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:47 PM   #1

I have been searching the web and the reviews. I went down to CC to get some hands on. Now my head is spinning and I need help.

Iam looking for a camera that will be used 90% of the time to take close up pictures of colorful camel eons and other small reptiles.

Mos of the pictures will be placed on a website.

I believe a fair amount of cropping will be done.

True color and clarity is important, speed is not.

Pictures would be indoor and out.

I am a novice so auto functions with room to grow would be nice.

Size and weight is not an issue.

The other 10% use would be day to day and other large wildlife such as deer and bear. These picture are for fun and not the driving force.

I would like to find something in the$400. - $750. range

Thanks, DEldien
DEldien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:16 PM   #2

I am looking at:

Sony Alpha 200

Olympus E510

Nikon D60

Anyone have any experience with these? Would or wouldn't they do what I want.

Are they over kill for what I want? Would a high end P & S be enough? Anyone?
DEldien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:32 AM   #3

Iam looking for a camera that will be used 90% of the time to take close up pictures of colorful camel eons and other small reptiles.
How close? You should check the spec. See how close they can focus in macro mode (Canon S5is can even focus at 0 cm in front of the lens - correct me if i'm wrong)
Most P&S can focus at 15 cm and they'll probably enough. But if you want to take pics of the reptiles scales, you'll need to be closer, right?

Mos of the pictures will be placed on a website.
IMHO, if you resize, a lot of detail will lost. Therefore, small P&S or pro DSLR won't differ much, IMHO

I believe a fair amount of cropping will be done.
You need more MP (perhaps >8MP?)

True color and clarity is important, speed is not.
This is a little bit difficult. You should check the reviews. DSLR is a safe choice.

Pictures would be indoor and out.
What about the lighting? With plenty of light, almost all cameras perform well. Low light? well, only a few can do the job. again, DSLR is a safe choice.

I am a novice so auto functions with room to grow would be nice.
I'm thinking a prosumer orDSLR.

Size and weight is not an issue.
Then you can use anything from stylish P&S to DSLR

The other 10% use would be day to day and other large wildlife such as deer and bear. These picture are for fun and not the driving force.
Need more zoom, unless you want to shoot the bear using macro mode (i don't recommend this:G, what's the safe distance?)

I would like to find something in the$400. - $750. range
Too much for a simple P&S but barely enough for DSLR

I am looking at:
Sony Alpha 200
Olympus E510
Nikon D60
Anyone have any experience with these? Would or wouldn't they do what I want.
Are they over kill for what I want? Would a high end P & S be enough? Anyone?
I don't have a DSLRbut those are nice cameras. You should check the closest focus distance in macro mode (to shoot the reptiles). If you want to shoot a bear, i think you'll need more than 3x zoom lens kit.

May i recommend another line: Prosumer. With >10x zoom (up to 18x zoom ranging from 27mm to 504mm) perhaps you can shoot the bear from a very safe distance. You can choose from Kodak, Canon (S series), Fuji (S series), Panasonic (FZ series), Olympus (SP-5xx series), Sony (H series), etc. Only Fuji is known to have a better performance in low light condition (S6000 and S9000 series).

I own Fuji S9600 and it has 1 cm focus distance using super macro mode. 28mm - 300mm is a good range to cover indoor groups (of friends)and far objects.

[line]

"I don't consider myself a photographer, yet. I'm only aphoto-taker.
I'm only a tech lover. A passion to be a photographer:|grows in me when I love the tech of digital cameras."
DChris is offline   Reply With Quote