Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Administrator

playa4real007 wrote:
Quote:
...good enough to last my learning and semi-pro period �hoping to get there� so I won�t have to change it for longer time �it seem really expensive�. I would use it mostly to take photos of my kids and family vacations and I also like to play with the photos using Aperture and Adobe Lightroom.
[snip]
and I can probably afford around $700
Any of the DSLR models have a full auto mode, and the manufacturers work hard to try and produce good photos in most conditions with it, usually with improved metering algorithms, white balance accuracy and focus in each newer generation.

It sounds like you want a camera you can grow into and I noticed the "semi-pro period, hoping to get there" part.

So, I'd probably go DSLR to start out with.

All of the major DSLR manufacturers offer entry level kits with a camera and lens (or lenses) that fit within your budget.

Since you're new to photography, I'd get a basic kit to start out with (camera, kit lens).

For example, a Canon Rebel XTi with an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF lens, or a Sony DSLR-A200 with an 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 AF lens. See our Best Cameras List for some more choices deemed to be a good value within their market niche.

Then, use the camera you choose for a while until you get a better feel for the limitations of the lens you're using in a variety of conditions for things like focal length from wide to long, and have a better understanding of things like how the largest available aperture (the smallest f/stop number a lens has available at a given focal length) impacts the lens brightness you may need in the conditions you shoot in more often

That way, you'll make better decisions later, before spending a lot of money up front to get started.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:24 PM   #12

thank you JimC.
i noticed that the Cameras you mentioned are more expensive than the Oly e-410 and a little bigger and comes with only a lens (i know as i learn and use it i'll need lenses as i progress) unless the e-410 isn't that good and that the reason why it's cheaper. i read the review on this site and find it a decent camera as an entry DSLR (however what do i know) that's why i'm asking! :roll:

Thanks again guys
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:48 PM   #13
Administrator

Compared to the E-410, the two models I mentioned are going to have faster Autofocus speed with more focus points and more advanced tracking algorithms, better dynamic range (ability to capture a greater range of bright to dark), lower noise and/or more detail at equivalent ISO speeds (and some tests I've seen from a reputable reviewer show the Olympus E-410's ISO 1600 setting to be closer to ISO 1250 in sensitivity), a larger viewfinder compared to this Olympus model, and a better control layout for less digging through the menus to make changes (for example, it doesn't have dedicated button for ISO speed).

Because of it's smaller sensor, you'll also have more depth of field compared to competing DSLR models for a given 35mm equivalent focal length, aperture setting and focus distance. So, that makes it harder to get good Bokeh (the quality of the out of focus areas in the image), especially since you'd need a wider aperture setting compared to competing models if you wanted a shallower depth of field to help subjects stand out from distracting backgrounds.

If a smaller size is more important, then the Olympus models may suit you. They tend to be well liked cameras. But note that even if this Olympus model didn't have lower Dynamic Range and ISO sensitivity compared to the other models, you still wouldn't have the autofocus lens choices in the used market that you do for other systems (since the 4/3s mount doesn't have an equivalent lens mount for 35mm Autofocus cameras). If the available options in new lenses are OK for the shooting you want to do, then the used market wouldn't matter (but, I'd check prices compared to similar options in competing systems).

In fairness, you can find adapters to use a variety of manual focus lenses on an Olympus DSLR. It's lens mount design and smaller sensor (it's sensor is smaller compared to DSLR models from Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Sony), make it easier to adapt other lens types to via adapters (of course, you may find the viewfinder to be less than desirable for manual focus).

For someone looking for a smaller and lighter model, they tend to be well liked cameras, and they have a lower price point compared to some of the other entry level DSLR models.

Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:14 AM   #14

Thank you again.

I'll look what do they offer in where i live (Switzerland).
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Administrator

If you do decide to go with Olympus, I'd probably consider the E-510 versus the E-410 if budget permits, too (because the E-510 has built in stabilization to help with blur from camera shake).

Stabilization won't help with blur from subject movement (you'll need faster shutter speeds for that). But, it can come in handy for stationary subjects when you may not have a tripod handy and want to keep ISO speeds set lower for best quality (which means slower shutter speeds for any given lighting and aperture setting).