Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:59 PM   #1

Is it really worth it to switch from P&S to dSLR as the last cost really high?
I just began to love photography and not really satisfied with my P&S camera “not fully though” and I saw photos that were taken with dSLR and was amazed and speechless “I thought it was taken by pros”. Anyway I decided to ask you guys as I read a lot of topics on here and really was helpful.

What I am looking for is a compact “or as small as it can get” dSLR and good enough to last my learning and semi-pro period “hoping to get there” so I won’t have to change it for longer time “it seem really expensive”. I would use it mostly to take photos of my kids and family vacations and I also like to play with the photos using Aperture and Adobe Lightroom.

Forgive my ignorance but how long is the learning curve as my knowledge on digital photography is almost ZERO but I’m learning as I follow topics in this forum and reading on the web and web glossary.

and I can probably afford around $700

Thanks a lot in advance.
playa4real007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:57 PM   #2

There is no doubt, a DSLR can be capable of helping you produce better photos in a wider range of circumstances. But, it is still a tool. The biggest factor in quality photos is the photographer. Learning the art and science of photography is the most important part. A DSLR will let you push the envelope more. It will also offer more customization and options as opposed to a digicam. But there are costs. The quality of the lenses used play a large part in overall quality of your photos. Moreso than the camera body itself.

High quality and 'jack of all trades' are mutually exclusive. You're not going to get the same results from an 18-200 style lens as you can with more specialized lenses.

The key though is to figure out what gear will best aid you in getting the photos you want without going overboard.

It's hard to say what the learning curve is. It depends on the person. Some people learn the principles of photography very quickly and for others it's a challenge.

For $700 you can get a nice entry level DSLR and begin your journey. But you need to realize - that kit is not a magic box. You'll be able to learn quite a bit about photography with any entry level kit but depending on where your photography takes you, you'll likely have to add additional equipment over time - another lens or two, a flash, whatever. But that's over time. You dont need to get it right off the bat - and I would advise AGAINST buying more than camera and kit lens right off the bat. You just need to understand going in that it's a very likely requirement down the road.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:26 PM   #3

Yeah. What JohnG said.

Plus, you haven't given us much to go on. What P&S Digicam do you have now? How are you dissatisfied with it? Can you post some examples?

The learning curve for photography can be pretty steep, especially if you get a camera that's more than you're ready for. Perhaps if your current digicam is a limiting factor in how far you want to take your photography, there might be a better camera that you can grow into, and as time goes by,you can growout of and into a dSLR.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:05 AM   #4

All of the above and few additional questions.

What are you going to do with your photos? 4x6" prints? Web only? 20x24" prints (do you really have that much wall space)?

Do you know how much good lenses cost? Have yoy spent a day with a brick on a strap hanging on your neck?

How familiar are you with a good editing program? What do you know about white balance? RAW?

The photographic equipment used to take a photo can be important in some cases. Knowing how to shoot a photo will always be usefull - very little of that has anything to do with the equipment used.

If you do not habe a camera now, I'd suggest getting one that fits in your shirt pocket. Even if you decide later to get a dSLR, you will find that kind of camera usefull to have as well.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:19 AM   #5

my camera is the Black Cyber-shot® T100 Digital Camera. it takes good picture outdoor, however indoor it wasn't good at all (may be it just me but i tried different iso setting and still not as clear as outdoor) even with great light in the room.
Attached Images

Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:31 AM   #6

BillDrew thank u i did see ur post cuz i was posting:roll:
mostly i'll store the photos in my computer and web images....few print won't hurt (picture of the kids)
i still don't know about most of photography terms (however i'm reading) i just learnt few stuff about iso and as i mentioned in my first post that my knowledge is almost zero but i began to read few days ago after i saw pictures that are taken with dSLR. and i began to like taking photos in the past months.
i'm not looking for fancy equipment for now. all i wanted is to know if dSLR would be a good choice for me with its kit and will it give me notable differences (or better result) from my P&S camera.

thanks a lot for your comments guys.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:17 AM   #7

The T-100 is a fine ultra-compact camera, and is on Steve's Best Cameras list.

From your sample photo, I'd say the white balance is off and the contrast is low (but that could be a result of the improper white balance.)

What white balance setting are you using? If it's on anything but Automatic, try Automatic. If it's on Automatic, try the Incandescent setting.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:47 AM   #8

thank u TCav..i'll see about the white balance. (i use automatic or lower iso setting most of the time)....seems like there are no needs to try dSLR for now.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:27 AM   #9

playa4real007 wrote:
Quote:
... i use automatic or lower iso setting most of the time ...
The ISO setting adjusts the sensitivity of the image sensor, which allows you to use faster or slower shutter speeds and/or large or smaller apertures. It doesn't change how the camera processes the info it receives from the image sensor.

playa4real007 wrote:
Quote:
... seems like there are no needs to try dSLR for now.
Well, let's not go that far just yet.

Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:02 PM   #10

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Well, let's not go that far just yet.
i was wondering if a dSLR will give me a results as i saw on the net if i learn how to use them "hopefully not so hard". and i know how to use RAW editing program (will not as pros though...i downloaded few RAW pics as sample from some site and play with it and saw how great of changes could happen "more than the JPEG file format").
I really was looking for small dSLR and i found the Oly e-410 with two lenses but after a while i thought it might be not worth it to buy it.

what i wanted is to take great picture of my kids as they are still young and playful. also as i travel, Events and so on.