Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:34 PM   #1

Since I can't take my Nikon D200 into summer concerts, I need a small pocket size digital camera that has a large zoom. 7x-12x and 6megs or higher.

Also since it could be dark with stage lighting. I need to consider a higher ISO with LOW noise. Price $100 - $500

So far I've looked at:

Cool pix S4
Pentax Optio Z10
Canon Powershot TX1
Kodak Easyshare V610

But none seem to be the ideal camera for my need.
Can anyone recommend a few that you would want to take to a concert to get good photos?

Thank you,
Steve

Steverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:58 AM   #2

P&S cameras are not that great at taking photos in low-light conditions, especially when using a long zoom, which lets less light into the picture.

There are only a few pocket sized cameras with a long zoom - Sony makes the H3, Panasonic recently released the TZ4 and TZ5, and Canon makes the SX100. I haven't seen many pictures taken with the TZ4 and TZ5, but I suspect they will do better than the others in low light.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:01 AM   #3

Photos from the Canon SX-100 at ISO 800 are pretty impressive. Yes, there is noise but the IQ is excellent. It might be an option and the price is certainly right.

Sarah Joyce (just returned from Sydney, Australia today)
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:16 AM   #4

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Good to have you back.

A. C.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:38 AM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Photos from the Canon SX-100 at ISO 800 are pretty impressive. Yes, there is noise but the IQ is excellent. It might be an option and the price is certainly right.

Looks like a good camera, BUT I'm not too sure that it would fit into my
pants pockets.

Thank you for the suggestion,
Steve
Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:23 PM   #6

Steverd-

Nope, neither the Canon SX-100 nor the Sony H-3 will fit in your pants pocket. You might want to look at the Panasonic TZ-3 or later cameras.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:19 PM   #7

It is very tough if you want pocketable size, long zoom, high ISO and low noise all in one camera. It is even tougher if you are shooting live stage with a compact camera with small lens and aperture: even armed with high ISO capability, the pictures will come out like mushy peas!

I am a fan of Fuji's but the famous F series (10/30/40) don't have long zoom. Otherwise it is "OK" pocketable. The F series (maybe excluding the newest F50) has legendary high ISO performance. The older models (before F40) use XD cards only.

Two more pocketable long zoom models come to my mind, but their high ISO performance is not a strong point:

(1) Casio Exilim EX-V7 and EX-V8 - zoom up to 266 mm, non-extending folding lens design, like the Nikon S4

(2) Ricoh Caplio R6/7/8 (not very popular in N America) - zoom up to 200 mm, very compact when the lens is retracted

I can safely say that the image quality of these two compact pocketables (and pocketables overall) is not as good as Canons (this would not offend the name brand defenders!). It is all a matter of sacrificing quality for size.

Now that you mentioned Nikon S4, have you looked at its larger cousin S10 (I think it is still a current model)? It is a twist-body design and "barely pocketable". However, the zoom goes up to 380mm, compatible with the Pana Lumix TZ series. ISO goes up to 800 and it is grainy. Autofocus is also slow in dim light. You may find some bargains because it is not a brand new model. However, just for built quality, performance and image quality (with lots of light), I would probably go for the Lumix TZ series.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:21 PM   #8

How about the Canon S-5. It is more adept than you might think. Take a look at the Las Vegas bright lights taken with a Canon S-5. Its pretty impressive..

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:38 PM   #9

Thank you everyone for all of the sugestions. I decided to go for the Panasonic TZ-5. Just so happened Amazon had them on sale this week. So far I am very happy with the camera. Easy to use (Much like my Canon SD-800), great 10X optical zoom, and very good color results on testing different color flowers.

Thanks,
Steve

Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:28 PM   #10

Hi Steve-

Congratulations on finding a camera you really like. Please post some sample photos when you have a chance. We have not seen many TZ-5 photo samples.

Sarah Joyce