Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:16 AM   #1

hi upgrading from nikon d50 what would be best buy d80 or d1x im buying secondhand im happy with the results from my d50 any help cheers patman
patman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:21 AM   #2

if you're happy with the results from your d50, why are you upgrading?

There's nothing wrong with the idea - but it's difficult to recommend a solution without knowing what you want out of your new camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:22 AM   #3
Administrator

In what areas are you finding limitations with your D50 now (AF speed, burst rate, etc.), and what subjects do you have problems with (and in what conditions)? What lenses are you trying to use in those conditions?

Depending on what you're using for lenses, you may be better off spending more money on better glass instead of upgrading the camera body.

Also, make sure you don't mind lugging a larger and heavier camera around if you want to go to a Pro series body like the D1x for some reason.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:51 AM   #4

thanks for your reply ive been covering weddings for about a year now getting good feedback and results using d50 with battery pack sigma 24-70-2.8///sb26 flash +sd8 but sometimes it seems to lag also im a bit concerned about any bad weather and getting knocks, also resolution, i had the idea to sell d50 body and get second hand d1x or d80 because of price? what do use think? cheers for your time patman.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:52 AM   #5

thanks for your reply cheers patman
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:58 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
had the idea to sell d50 body and get second hand d1x or d80 because of price? what do use think?
I think that if you're shooting weddings professionally, you need spare gear (body, lenses, batteries, flash, etc.), because failures can occur at any time (usually at the worst posssible moment). So, I'd keep the D50 as a spare body, even if you do decide to get another camera. Using two bodies can also give you more flexibility for shooting in more conditions, because you can use a different focal length lens on each body.

Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:21 AM   #7

I'm also curious if your only lens is 24-70 what you do for long shots from back of the church or for wide group shots. In my experience, 24mm isn't wide enough even on my 1.3 crop body for wedding parties in the church or some posed group shots at reception. I would think some additional lenses would have a greater impact on your success.

I do agree with Jim on having two bodies. One because it's the right thing to do if you're actually the official photographer. As a pro you should be able to complete your contract if your primary body fails or gets damaged.

But I absolutely agree that two bodies would be extremely beneficial. Switching lenses is a pain in the butt and having a second body makes things easier.

Also, does your flash have a battery pack? You mentioned one but I was unshure if you meant for the camera or for the flash. An external battery pack for the flash can make a huge difference in recycle times and in longevity.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:44 AM   #8

hi thanks for replying, i have 28-300 also a70-300/15-2.8/50mm 1.8 /105 2.5 also sd -80 b pack for flash, i also have two nikon film bodys for backup.f 301 /f 65...i just thought going for the d1x would have been better? because i can pick one up for £300 with two spare batterys or d80 for £400 i have a friend whom will buy my d50 body for £250, i cannot afford to buy two digi bodies at the moment so really i was trying to juggle for the best deal cheers patman. and thanks for your help
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Administrator

Personally, I don't see the point of replacing your existing camera with an older 5MP DSLR model, unless you think it's going to do something you need better than your existing body, even if it does have better build quality, faster AF, etc.

How do you know it's not going to fail the day after you buy it, with higher repair costs than another D50 may cost you, depending on what failed? Just because it's a Pro body doesn't mean they never break. This camera model was introduced in 2001. That's a long time for technology.

It also won't work with CompactFlash cards greater than 2GB in size if that's a concern (the D1x is not FAT32 compliant, needed for cards larger than 2GB).

Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:44 AM   #10

thanks again for your help,patman