Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:06 PM   #1

Hi everyone, I'm a DSLR user and have a very aging Canon ELPH that I've used for taking pictures while on ski trips. The ELPH was by far the smallest camera at the time I bought it - I put it in my ski jacket and it's small enough. I'm looking to upgrade though and I would prefer to have something thinner (depth) and lighter if possible.

I'm not as knowledgeable on P&S cameras, but I only need basic features (no wifi, no on camera image editing, etc). I've looked into the water/weatherproof Olympus cameras, but those are a no go (xD memory, not great performace - no thanks)

Does anyone have a recommendation? I've looked at the Sony's but they're quite expensive - I'm looking to get by on the cheap. The Nikon S210 looks good but I can't find anyone who has reviewed it yet. The S200 had many complaints about slowness and quality and I'm interested if Nikon has fixed any of the issues...

I'm also looking at the Casio S10 at $249 now - looks like a good camera but I haven't seen any reviews..

Any other cameras I should be looking at?

Thanks,

Mike
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:00 PM   #2

I've read one review of the Casio S10 and it wasn't good.
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...view-17119.htm

What about the Panasonic FS3 or FS5? They seem like excellent slim cameras.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:58 PM   #3

That review primarily complained of the S10 being too small (which is why I like it). BTW, I HATE reviews that don't cover image quality. My greatest concern is that most of the Elixims seem to have softness problems.

Don't take my reply wrong, the FS3 and FS5 are very good cameras, but too bulky for what I want. I literally want to get into the .6-.75" depth range. I even looked at the BenQ X800 which a) I'm betting will oops, and b) won't be out anytime soon.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:59 AM   #4

Unfortunately, the only real weatherproof and shockproof compacts are the Stylus 1030 and 850. I canrecommend from personal experiencethe Canon SD850 which has been great in weird situations-- motorcycling, trailhiking, soccer games. Not as thin but easy to carry.
jerry bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:59 PM   #5

Thanks Jerry - I actually went and bought the Casio EX-S10 (marketed as the thinnest camera on the market - and true). I actually really like the EX-S10 although I must admit it's a bit hard getting used to "consumer" settings for taking shots. I got some great ski pics. I also wish the consumer P&S's would someday get a much faster "shutter" - the delay for focusing / etc is nonsense... oh well, I'll probably post a review someday when I get time.