Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:03 PM   #1

Hi. I've decided to scale back my expectations and my budgettemporarily and just go with a p&s instead of an SLR because I'm not sure I can make the time commitment right now thatit will take to learn how to use an SLR effectively. (You guys are feeling sorry for that camera-store lady now, aren't you? )

Can you help me choose between these two cameras: Pan FZ18 or Canon G9. Again, I mostly wish to photograph fast-moving children indoors and outdoors. (I know an SLR would be best for low-light action, but would either of these cameras allow me to "get lucky" with a few keepers now and again?). I'll also use it for travel and holidays.

Are there other models I should be considering?

Thanks, I promise to go away quietly very soon!
ChristyKay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2

The cameras you chose are vastly different.

The FZ-18 is a super, superzoom with an optical zoom of 18X.

The G9 is as close to a DSLR that you can get within the non-DSLR's. Do you need 12 megapixels?

For pictures of kids, you need a short shutter lag and decent low light performance, if you are not going to use your flash.

I would choose the FZ-18 (for me) because I like to attend sporting events and often sit in the cheap seats. But for you ...

I would also consider some of the 10X and 12X optical zoom cameras. They're slightly cheaper than the FZ-18. Actually, I might also recommend the Canon S5 IS. It has a hot shoe, focuses fast, and has pretty good image quality at lower ISO's.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3

ChristyKay-

I was sort of in the same situation. After some research I landed on the Sony H-3 (8mp and 10X optical zoom) and have been very pleased with the results and I saved some money in the process.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:16 PM   #4

A friend recently purchased a Panasonic FZ18 and the first set of photos came out noticeably fuzzy. I don't know if it is an isolated problem or is common with this model.

Any comments from FZ18 owners would be appreciated.

Ralph
ralphjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:24 PM   #5

Placed in the wrong environment, the FZ-18 (BTW I am a FZ-18 Owner) can have a rather difficult time dealing with the 15X to 18X focal zone. Folks, it is a fact of life!

I have recently been working with the new TZ-5, and unlike the FZ-18, I find it to be a very easy camera to deal with and from which in just a week, I have obtained some really great photos. Let's be really honest here, Ultrazoom cameras reaching out into the 15X to 20X focal zone (such as the Olympus SP-570, the Olympus SP-560, the Fuji S-8000, the Fuji S-8100, the NikonP-80 etcand others) have had more than their fair share of long zoom problems.

The cameras that are scoring really big, are the 10X optical zoom cameras that feature a 28mm wide angle beginning point and go out to 280 or 300mm. That is why I focused on the new Panasonic TZ-5. It really is a pretty amazing camera.

I started about aweek ago, and I have been posting daily photos from the TZ-5 in the Panasonic Folder. Take a look. I think you will be pretty impressed. Here are today's (04/21) photos.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:28 PM   #6

Folks-

In all honesty, with the Canon G-9 having only 6X optical zoom, I do not honestly see how it might be a contender. Perhaps, it does indeed apeal to those who are not very interested in much zoom power. Everyone must make their own personal choice.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:10 AM   #7

When I first used the full 12x on my FZ-5, I was getting very blurry pictures, despite the built in image stabilising. It's equivalent to 432mm and at that length, you do need to keep the camera pretty still, particularly if there is not much light. You can just about get away without using a tripod, but it's best to find some way to support yourself, like putting your elbows on a wall or something. In good light, it's a little more tolerant of movement, but it doesn't take much movement to ruin a good shot.
Neofolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:43 PM   #8

Neofolis-

All three photo samples attached to my post were indeed taken handheld. I certainly believe that to my eyes that they are pretty sharp. The shutter speed, if I remember correctly was 1/13th of a second.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:32 PM   #9

Sarah,

Nice results in those three photos. Your memory though is like mine, I prefer written records for myself. Your shutter speeds were all above 1/13th; 1/60, 1/40, and 1/160, according to the data for each shot.

My G9 does cry for more zoom at times. That's why I am considering getting a teleconverter, but that will require me reconsidering how light I really want to travel. There is the built-in Digital Tele-Converter in the G9, but images can be impacted. Some folks have produced excellent shots using it, but my results have been mixed. I need more practice and learning to understand it better.

Also, even though the G9 has IS, I still find I get dramatically better shots using a tripod (small or large). I bought a small table top tripod to help in this area.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 5:55 PM   #10

Hi Dennis-

The only issue I was attempting to make was that for handheld shots, at ISO 800, they looked pretty good. And yes, you are very correct, a tripod always gives you an added advantage. Can't you just imagine me among the midst of a whole bunch of other women grocery shopping in that supermarket on Monday setting up a tripod?!?

They would have complained and gotten the men with the butterfly nets. As it was I had to ask a few women to wait for a couple of seconds as I fired off those very quick shots.

I am taking three cameras with me on the 3 month contract we leave on tomorrow (04/26). One is my new TZ-5, but one is not the Canon G-7 that I own. I like the G-7, but I always want more from it, so there is no sense hauling it all over the world with me for 90+ days!

Sarah Joyce