Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:34 AM   #1

Just found this in-depth discussion comparing A650 and G9. Thought it might be useful:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...347&page=1
gwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:30 PM   #2

gwei-

In the broad sense the statement that the A-650 is essentially a G-9 withaflip screen is very correct. However, you must keep in mind that there are some minor differences, such as the elimination of the hotshoe on the Canon G-9.

There is also the ongoing discussion about the possibility of Canon dropping the G series cameras that pops up now and then. A prospective buyer has to decide if they need the missing features of the G-9.

BTW, I thought you had already purchased your camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:12 AM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
gwei-

In the broad sense the statement that the A-650 is essentially a G-9 withaflip screen is very correct. However, you must keep in mind that there are some minor differences, such as the elimination of the hotshoe on the Canon G-9.

There is also the ongoing discussion about the possibility of Canon dropping the G series cameras that pops up now and then. A prospective buyer has to decide if they need the missing features of the G-9.

BTW, I thought you had already purchased your camera.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks mtclimber. Yes I have bought A650.

I nearly bought G9. The reason I didn't buy it mainly because it doesn't have flip screen and uses special battery. The main advantages of G9, as every body knows by now, include raw format and hotshoe.I think I can bear without them.

However I just found out thatA650 doesn't have exopure bracketing function. This is bit disappointing. Somehow I thought it had this function. Instead it has focus bracketing,haven't triedyet.

Overall I amhappy about my purchase. I haven't got chance to use it's rich functions yet. So far I found it's auto focus isfast and precise, and IS is very effective. It really boost your confidence.

Interestingly, I have also learnt that there is a third party program (CHDK) you can download and store in the memory card to extend the camera's functions, such as saving inraw format and exposure bracketing. The program gets loaded each time you switch on the camera. It does not alter the firmware.

gwei is offline   Reply With Quote