Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:07 PM   #1

I was a long time 35mm film user but having moved to the States a lot of my gear got left behind ... now I'm looking to get a digital camera for a lot of my shooting.

The main use will be fishing trophy shots .... day and night usage, action shots from the boat/bank and also pictures of the trophy fish from a tripod (self portrait). I'm not looking to go DSLR just yet but want something that gives me some flexibility if I want to take some landscape/wildlife/general shots.

My budget is between $200 - $300 and right now I am leaning either to the Canon SX100 or the Panasonic FZ-8.

Any and all opinions welcomed

Thanks
Stu
Stusmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:48 PM   #2
Administrator

Stusmobile wrote:
Quote:
.... day and night usage, action shots from the boat/bank and also pictures of the trophy fish from a tripod (self portrait).
I'd be a bit concerned about what you mean by night usage. If you're outside at night, a camera may not be able to Autofocus if you're not close enough for the focus assist lamps to work. Also, you'll need to be close enough to use the flash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:56 PM   #3

Stu,

I would recommend looking for a camera that has a wider lens for boat pics. Remember, there is just so far back you can go on a boat. Both of the cameras you suggested have 36mm at the bottom - you would be better off with a 28mm. That will also help with landscape or seascape pics.

It's also nice to be able to capture a little video of a battle with a fish. It's also real nice to be able to zoom while recording video. Neither of your suggested cameras can zoom while recording video.

Since most of the best fishing seems to occur during marginal lighting conditions, it is useful to have a camera with good low light performance, or at least a powerful flash. The SX100 is very weak in the flash department, and neither cam is particularly good in low light.

I was thinking of suggesting the new Fuji F100, but it can't zoom while taking video, and it's a little out of your price range.

Right now, there doesn't seem to be a perfect camera for your needs...at least in your price range...but I'll keep looking for you.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:15 PM   #4

Fuji S8000 - Good photos in low light up to 800 ISO, 18x optical zoom, 27mm wide angle capability, punchy Fuji image quality. Buydig has it for less than $290.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:24 PM   #5

Good idea Andy - thought it had been replaced by the S8100 (at higher cost).

the Hun

Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:39 PM   #6

rinnie-

The Fuji S-8100 just uped the mp and it is really not much of an improvement at all, as I understand it. With the current $50 Fuji rebate, that makes the Fuji S-8000 a best buy.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the thoughts so far all ..... let me clarify the night shots.

The nights shots will mostly be of me holding a trophy fish, the camera will be mounted on a tripod and the max distance will be in the region of 8 feet. My only concern for these shots is having a camera that will operate fast enough to minimize movement if/when the fish jumps.
Stusmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 4:36 AM   #8

Sarah,

The Fuji rebate expired 3/1/08.

the Hun

Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:43 AM   #9

rinnie-

I am holding the Fuji rebate form in my hot little hand and it says that it is good on sales through 03/31/2008 and that the rebate has to be submitted by 04/30/2008. Am I wrong?? I just downloaded the form from http://www.cameratown.com.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote