Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:51 PM   #1

I am having a hardtime choosing one of the cameras above. Is there anyone who can advise me ? And then in particular more between the differences between Panasonic and Olympus ?

Looking forward to you reactions.

Wendy,

The Netherlands
woepietje is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2008, 3:47 PM   #2

An obvious difference is that the Panasonic Cameras have more of a zoom range, 28mm to 280, compared to 37mm to 260mm for the Olympus.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 4:34 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, I already found this out. I did compared the cameras so I know the technical differences but I am just curious about opinions of others about Olympus and Panasonic.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:13 PM   #4

For outdoor shots in decent to good light, the TZ3 is hard to beat. Here's an extensive image file I have built up with my TZ3..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...qatr#266591609

Now, I will also add, I do not shoot movies with my digicams. I am strictly a still image shooter. I can see, if you do shoot movies, where the TZ5 might be a better camera, being the newer model and it allows zooming during movies where the TZ3 does not. In review mode, the TZ5's 3 inch screen has over double the resolution of the TZ3. The TZ3's 3 inch screen has 230,000 pixels, where the TZ5 has been upped to something like 460-480,000 pixels, so in review mode, the detail provided (and battery power consumed) by the TZ5 should be extensive.

I would stick with either the TZ3 or TZ5 if you chose to go with the Panasonic. The TZ2 and TZ4 are scaled-down, less desireablemodels.

I have no experience with the mju 1020.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5

With all due respects to Gregg=

There are indeed other cameras out there that do a much better job than the Panasonic TZ-3. Perhaps you might want to take a look at the Sony H-3 camera, that easily out performs the Panasonic TZ-3 in all areas, particularly in existing light and flash photos.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:18 AM   #6

Thanks, I will check it out. But to be honest I have my doubts with the brand Sony on the area of digital cameras. I would ooner choose for a brand that already had camera's in their assortment before the digital camera period.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:11 AM   #7

woepietje wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, I will check it out. But to be honest I have my doubts with the brand Sony on the area of digital cameras. I would ooner choose for a brand that already had camera's in their assortment before the digital camera period.
You do realize this is the same place Panasonic falls in terms of when they became involved in still camera development, right?

At this point, Panasonic and Sony are as knowledgeable as anyone. Sony in particular has the entire development team from Konica Minolta, a pair of photographic giants that went back almost 75-80 years until they decided first to merge, thento getcompletely out of the camera making business after decidingthey could no longer make it in this market.

Both Panasonic and Sony made decisions toally themselveswith traditional camera makers for instantname recognition (Panasonic with Leica and Olympus in the 4/3rd's system development, and Sony with Zeiss), but there's no question, if one went back to the mid to late 1990's you'd have a hard time finding anyone who would say they had ever owned a still camera made by either company.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote