Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:35 AM   #1

Does anyone know of a point and shoot camera that is water proof and has a date time stamp on the picture. Pixel size doesn't matter. I tried Olympus 850SW but it doesn't have a picture date stamp. I tried Nikon but its not water proof. Can anyone help... Thanks.
kenallen32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Administrator

I wouldn't worry about a date/time stamp feature, especially since it can be unsightly and you don't want to ruin part of the images, especially when the colors clash.

The images from a modern digital camera contain a lot of information about the photo in each file's EXIF header (includng the date/time taken, shuttter speed, aperture, ISO speed, and much more).

So, if you want to add a date/time stamp to an image for some reason later, you can use software to do that for you, including some free products like Irfanview (which can add it to selected images in batch mode) and Exifer (it's watermark feature can use the image's date/time stamp info). That way, you can keep copies of the images with and without a date/time stamp (which can be unsightly).

Some printing software can also add a date/time stamp when you print the images if you really want one there (so, that you don't even need to keep a separate copy with a date/time stamp if you really want one for some reason). For example, the software included with a Canon Pixma printer I got a while back has this feature (it can also read the date/time it was taken from the EXIF header in an image). A good commercial application with the ability to add a date/time stamp to your photos is QImage Pro

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:45 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.
The date time stamp is a contractual/legal requirement that has to be there. They want it on the pictures, I have no option for this. If I can get them to agree to have the date time stamp added to the picture afterwards then I can use the Olympus 850sw. But for now they want it on the picture when it is taken.

Thanks.

kenallen32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 1:44 PM   #4
Administrator

Any of that kind of thing can be easily changed, if it's for legal purposes. It's my understanding that the testimony about the photo can also be important (that it was not modified in any way). But, I'm no lawyer, so I'd consult one.

Epson had a firmware upgrade available for a couple of it's cameras at one time that was capable of making sure nothing in the photo has been altered (the firmware wrote a hidden code into the image file that could be read by their Authentication software and supposedly determine if even one bit was modified). It was popular with law enforcement.

I bought an Epson PhotoPC 3000z with this firmware upgrade available when it was first introduced (but, I didn't upgrade my firmware to get this feature).

Canon also offers an Image Verfication System with some of it's pro series dSLR models (for example, EOS-1Ds series cameras).

Canon Image Verification System

Nikon also offers an Image Authentication option for it's D3 and D300 now:

Nikon Image Authentication Software

Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:13 PM   #5
Administrator

You will also see that major camera manufacturers often offer optional waterproof housings for some of their digital cameras, and you will also find third party waterproof housings and bags for many cameras.

You may want to ask about them in our Underwater Digital Photography Forum if you find a camera that's not waterproof that you like.

Steve has a Weatherproof/Underwater Digital Cameras List with links to reviews. But, from a quick glance at the current Pentax and Olympus models, I don't see a date/tiime stamp feature.