Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:37 AM   #1

Hello everybody

I've done some research but I can't decide on which camera to buy. These are my options:

Samsung S850 - $124.99
Samsung S1050 - $164.99
Canon A560 - $164.99
Canon A580 - $164.99

Which one should I buy and why? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Tauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:16 PM   #2

What do you want to do with your camera - indoor shooting? Landscapes? Wildlife? Do you want something pocket sized? How much optical zoom do you want? Do you want manual controls and image stabilization (very useful in low light conditions)? Do you want the camera to run on AA batteries or a built-in lithium/ion battery?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to be using the camera for wildlife, landscapes or any of the sort. Mostly indoor photos. I do want manual control and image stabilization is always good. The more optical zoom the better, right? These Canons only have 4x and the Samsungs have 5x optical zoom so those are my only options currently. I will start off with AA alkaline batteries and eventually move on to rechargeable batteries.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:53 PM   #4

You ought to consider the Canon A570IS or A590IS as they have both optical image stabilization and manual controls to enable you to get the best possible picture indoors. The other cameras on your list don't have both of these features.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:23 PM   #5

Yes, but if your only options were those 4 cameras which one is the best camera and therefore the one I should buy. Considering the features, brand, battery life, image quality, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:27 PM   #6

Tauris,

Your research is flawed...

"Yes, but if your only options were those 4 cameras which one is the best camera and therefore the one I should buy."

Yes, but those 4 cameras aren't your only options, and none of them seem to meet your own stated requirements. Therefore, you shouldn't buy any of them!

For one thing, the cameras you've selected all have either a 35 or 38mm focal length at the wide end - not good for taking indoor pics, which is what you said you would be using the cam for, mostly. Neither of the two Canon cams you've selected have aperture or shutter priority, and the A580 doesn't even permit manual focus...yet you stated that you do want manual control. Also, the Canon's you've selected arern't known for speedy flash rcycle times - plan on at least 10 seconds between shots. And alkaline batteries? Hope you have stock in Duracell - you're going to be changing batteries like most people change their socks.

Maybe you're not telling us something?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:30 PM   #7

Tauris wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but if your only options were those 4 cameras which one is the best camera and therefore the one I should buy. Considering the features, brand, battery life, image quality, etc.
I don't have any personal experience with the Samsungs (I own the Canon A720IS and A570IS) but I'm sure you'd like the Canon A580. Though as I said before, the A570IS is probably a better camera and costs less ($136 at Amazon).
Old Mar 21, 2008, 7:40 PM   #8

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Tauris,

Your research is flawed...

"Yes, but if your only options were those 4 cameras which one is the best camera and therefore the one I should buy."

Yes, but those 4 cameras aren't your only options, and none of them seem to meet your own stated requirements. Therefore, you shouldn't buy any of them!

For one thing, the cameras you've selected all have either a 35 or 38mm focal length at the wide end - not good for taking indoor pics, which is what you said you would be using the cam for, mostly. Neither of the two Canon cams you've selected have aperture or shutter priority, and the A580 doesn't even permit manual focus...yet you stated that you do want manual control. Also, the Canon's you've selected arern't known for speedy flash rcycle times - plan on at least 10 seconds between shots. And alkaline batteries? Hope you have stock in Duracell - you're going to be changing batteries like most people change their socks.

Maybe you're not telling us something?

the Hun
The thing I'm not telling you is that I'm going to buy this in a local RadioShack and those are the only good cameras in my price range (below $200).

BTW I tought that you could change the aperature and shutter priority on the Canons, sorry.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:28 PM   #9

I'm afraid that it will be extremely difficult to get everything you want in your price range. If you can come up with a few more dollars, and aren't totally locked into RS, you could pick up a Panasonic DMC-LZ10 on Amazon for $209 (delivered - free shipping and no tax)). It's a new model, which hasn't been reviewed yet, but the Panasonics are usually a pretty decent camera. The LZ10 does have aperture and shutter priority, it has a 30-150mm zoom (5x), IS, and a pretty powerful flash...and runs on AA batteries. That's a lot of features for a $200 camera.

Hope that helps.

Good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 8:55 PM   #10

Tarus-

In all honesty, rinnie is right on the target with your question. You can speak in those great cathedral like tones about Samsung cameras. But in all honesty, those are cameras that Samsung were cutting their digital camera teeth on. They were much less than significant and very unimportant cameras, but they gave Samsung a place in the market. Are they really significant or important cameras? No, they certainly are not at all. Do us all afavor and forget them, please!

The cameras that are truly worth taking a good look at are the: Canon A-570IS, the A-590 IS, and the Canon A-720 IS, the Canon S-5 IScameras.

Thanks for listeneing. I was just attempting to move this discussion a long a bit, and to get beyond the unimportant and BSdetails.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote