Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1

Hi, well I've been looking at some Digital compact and creative cameras as my old one is quite out of date, slow and the battery life is bad. In case your wondering it is the Nikon Coolpix 885. I have nothing against the camera itself, the picture quality is amazing especially for a camera this out dated. But then what do I know. Anyway I was browsing the internet for something I liked and found three cameras, actually four (oops).
Well the first one I spotted and liked the sound of was the Olympus SP 550 UZ.
I read a few reviews, including the one on here and found people said it was slow in certain areas. So I searched on and found the Panasonic TZ 3, I still like the look and sound of it. Maybe you could give me some advice on that.
I also then got recommended the Panasonic FZ 8 instead... very confused already. :?:
Finally a friend of mine has the Canon Powershot SX100 IS and she was very happy about it and let me take one picture, I liked the feel of it, but as I have no Idea about all the technical stuff I thought I'd get some advice before choosing.
Furthermore I'd ideally like a camera which would be good for taking pictures of dogs, as that is what i mostly do, but my old camera asn't very good at taking pictures when something was going at speed / moving... so that would be a nice thing to have, and over 4x / 5x zoom would be nice too. I know I'm asking for a lot but it should also be in my price range nothing over 250. Well I just really wanted to know which one of the four cameras think best.
Thanks so much
Gwen
gwen_cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:12 PM   #2

I don't understand why you feel you need a camera with a very long optical zoom. It limits your options. It would also be helpful to know if you intend to take most of your pictures indoors or outdoors. I own two Canons, the A720IS and A570IS, compact cameras that take good pictures both indoors and outdoors and have moderate optical zooms (6x and 4x) and manual controls. The A720IS is available for under $200 and the A570IS for under $150. You may want to consider them rather than a superzoom.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:18 PM   #3

I intend to take most of my pictures outdoors... how would it limit my options?
Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:39 PM   #4

gwen_cooper wrote:
Quote:
I intend to take most of my pictures outdoors... how would it limit my options?
Thanks
It limits your options because there aren't that many cameras around with a 10x optical zoom or greater.

If you are interested in the best possible ultrazoom, most reviewers give the nod to the Panasonic FZ18, with the Canon S5 a strong contender.

For the smaller ultrazooms, I recommend the following article:
http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=3309
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:54 PM   #5

Gwen-

The issue is this: would 10X, 12X, or 18X optical zoom work better for you with your primarily outdoor photo taking? Most folks use their camera even a minority of the time indoors to record family events and the like, so good indoor photos with good flash performance might indeed come to play in your camera selection.

Thus far in the thread, if your zoom needs are at 10X optical zoom, the Canon SX-100 (like your friend owns and uses) or a Sony H-3 might fill your needs nicely. If you need 12X of optical zoom, then a good choicewould be the Canon S-5, and finally, if you needed 18X optical zoom, then the Panasonic FZ-18 would be a good choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 3:36 PM   #6

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound as if I wanted a very good zoom I was trying to say that 4x or 5x optical zoom would be fine to me. I was getting confused between optical zoom and megapixel... Sorry :s
Old Mar 21, 2008, 4:18 PM   #7

Gwen-

Not a problem at all. Thanks for the clarification. In view of your most recent reply, the Canon A-570IS or the Canon A-590IS are your best choices with 4X optical zoom. The Canon A-720IS is the best choice with 6X optical zoom. And, the Canon SX-100 and the Sony H-3 are the best coice with 10X optical zoom.

Of that group, the Sony H-3 has the best automatic indoor flash performance and recycle times because it uses a proprietary Lithium Ion battery in place of the two AA sized batteries used in the A-570IS, A-590IS, and the A-720IS, which tke 2 to 3 times longer to get ready for the next flash photo.

I have attached a Sony H-3 flash shot sample.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:19 AM   #8

Thank you for all the advice, will have a look round then...