Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:09 PM   #1

Hey, guys. I'm looking to see if anyone here can help me decide on which model camera to buy. I'm not exactly set on a brand, but the two I've been thinking about are both Canon... PowerShots, I believe.

Anyways, I'm looking for a point-and-shoot camera that I can use in family gatherings and hanging out with my friends. I'm not looking into SLR cameras as of yet because they seem much too expensive for me considering my price range. Speaking of price range, I'd say it would be around the $200 benchmark.

It'd also be nice if my camera had a decent video camera. I'm kind of looking into video logging on YouTube. However, it's not too important whether the video camera is important.

And one final 'spec' I'd like my camera to have is that I'd like it to have some sort of 'artistic development' to it. I guess that's what artists call it. I'm talking about taking pictures of scenery and making it your desktop wallpaper, etc.

So now, I'll tell you the two models I'm thinking about. I'm still not decided, and I might not end up deciding until summer when I'll really end up buying a camera. The two models from Canon that interested me are the Powershot A720 IS and the Powershot SD1000...

I'd appreciate any type of response that would help boost me towards the right direction of photography. Thanks.
libidesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:46 PM   #2

libidesigns,

I'll be brave and take a stab. Both cameras are nice. I may be a little biased because I own an A series camera, and really like it. For someone looking to expand their photography experience, the A720is would be more accomodating imho. First, it has full manual controls, aperature and shutter speeds, as well as manual white balance control. Also, it has an equivalent lens of 35-210mm, a great range to work with. The A720is also has more mpx, but it's really not THAT big of a deal. Add optical image stabilization and a greater shutter speed range(if memory serves me) and it would seem a slam dunk decision(for me lol). The sd1000 is more compact, several grams lighter, and would therefore be more pocketable than the A720is. But if you want a camera that will allow you to learn more about photography than merely pointing and shooting, I would, between the two you have mentioned, pick the A720is. Just my 2 cents...good luck with your decision..

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:47 PM   #3

libidesigns-

Robert has provided you with some good advice. I second his recommendation of the Canon A-720IS camera. It is an all around excellent point and shoot camera that also has manual controls. The only downside that I am familiar with is that it has a slow flash recycle time (the time between flash shots) when shooting in very dark conditions.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 2:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, guys. Good stuff...

Anyways, I'm thinking of adding the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 to my wish list so I'll be thinking of three cameras now. I'll probably end up narrowing it down to the Canon Powershot A720IS and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5.

Keep the replies rollin', guys.
libidesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:03 PM   #5

The TZ5 should definitely be considered if you want exceptional optical zoom, and also a good wideangle lens. But you might want to look at the TZ3, last year's model, which hasa similarlens, because the price just went down. Canon 720 is a great camera though. Try them both out and see which feels better.
jerry bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:28 PM   #6

Like, Jerry, I think that the Canon A-720 IS is a good possibility. I bought the TZ-3 and really missed having a viewfinder so I returned the TZ-3.

If you need more zoom, consider the Canon S-5, which is now hovering right around $(US) 300.00.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 24, 2008, 8:33 PM   #7

If you desire a bit more zoom, like 10X optical zoom for instance. Then take a good look at the Sony H-3. It will save you some $$, it does not have a viewfinder nor an EVF, but it is a darned good little camera that easily pops into your purse.

Sarah Joyce