Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1

Hey all:

I'm new to this site and am going to start out with a pretty generic question that I do have a special need to ask.

I'm a headshot photographer using a 20D with a 100 F/2 lens that I get some really good shots with.

I'm interested in upgrading for the sole reason of the LCD screen. I'm not a high end fashion photographer so I can't afford a viewing screen for my models, so they are stuck viewing the shots as we shoot through my LCD screen which is so tiny on my 20D that it's really hard for them to get a true idea of how things are going. I also shoot on location a lot so bringing my laptop is next to impossible.

I checked out both cameras and it seems the Canon lenses are a bit better in the area I need, 80-200 (after the 1.6 magnification, or 1.5 for Nikon). So my final decision was going to be based on the LCD screen. THe D300's LCD was so clear, it was amazing, but it was extremely warm, far warmer than the 40D which seemed cooler and truer to life but not as clear.

Does anyone have any input in this area, I'm not very well-versed with Nikon, but only need one lens with this camera so don't mind selling all my Canon stuff to make a change if it's really going to be worth it in the long run.

THanks ahead of time everyone!
msully555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Administrator

Have you considered getting one of the available portable storage devices with a better display than these cameras have built in? They would be much smaller than carrying a laptop around.

Here's one example:

Epson P-3000 with 40GB of storage

They offer them with various internal storage capacities, and you'll find similar products from a variety of other manufacturers.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:34 PM   #3

Thanks Jim:

THe more I've been doing research on these two cameras the more I've been realizing how many shots I have to toss per shoot because they are slightly out of focus.

It seems like the Nikon has a better (sharper) focusing system, but maybe not as fast. I think I would prefer sharper to faster for portrait work, so I think I'm going to test this camera out.

Maybe once I can afford it I'll try your idea of the external screen. It's just hard when shooting in a park, etc, to lug an external screen with you as you walk to new locations. These new 3 in. screens really help people like me out.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:45 PM   #4
Administrator

If you decide to go with a camera with a better built in LCD screen, versus a portable storage device or laptop, you may want to consider the new Sony DSLR-A700, too. It's got the same type of screen the new Nikon D300 has, and both cameras use a Sony 12MP sensor.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 11:23 PM   #5

How are the Sony lenses? I've had such bad experiences with every Sony item I've ever bought, that unless the lenses absolutely blow Canon and Nikon lenses out of the water, it probably won't happen.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:04 AM   #6
Super Moderator

As you are already using Canon then I would stick with Canon, and would give the same advice if you were a Nikon user. With the AF on the 40D if you don't get solid results every time then there is something wrong (well 99% of the time, no AF system is perfect). Shooting head shots I can't see the benefit of spending the extra to go to the D300 especially as you will need new glass.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 8:26 AM   #7

Money aside what do you think. I'm sitting on a couple lenses that I don't even use now because of the 1.6x upgrade to digital from film, so if I sell everything, I will be able to get the D300 with the 18-200VR. After that the only thing I might get down the road would be the 80-200 or the 70-300. I think I'm just at that faze where I'm itching to switch. Getting the out of focus pictures, my last shoot I was getting these facial flares on my clients face. Is the Canon glass really that much better than the Nikon where it wouldn't be a good idea to switch.

And remember my main reason for asking this, this LCD when I'm walking over to my client and showing them how I'd like them to adjust. THe LCD was just so much clearer on the Nikon, that was what really motivated the desire to try something new.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:21 PM   #8

Good Canon lenses aren't much better or worse than Nikon's, but they are usually quite a bit cheaper.
Have you considered getting a Canon 5D for your shooting (used if money is tight). It only has a 2.5" LCD, but it's a full frame camera, so you'll be able to use all your lenses without a 'crop factor' involved + a much better viewfinder (less oof shots).

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:50 PM   #9

Yeah, I was thinking about it, but the LCD is probably the most important determining factor for upgrading. During the shooting, I walk over the the actor or model and let them see what is working and what is not.

Also the 5D is so old, I'd feel like upgrading would be pointless with such an older model camera. THe full frame doesn't matter so much to me, one lens vs. three would be so much better, and the NIkon has a 100% viewfinder which I like when trying to frame headshots.