Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:21 PM   #11
Administrator

The use of UV filters for protection is controversial.

I've seen way too many cases of image degradation using one, especially with brighter light sources in an image. Anytime you add glass in front of a lens, you risk image degradation due to internal light reflections.

Personally, I think a hood is protection enough. You'll have to make up your own mind about it.

As for getting feedback on an image, we have a forum setup just for that purpose:

Critiques and Techniques

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:09 PM   #12

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The use of UV filters for protection is controversial.

I've seen way too many cases of image degradation using one, especially with brighter light sources in an image. Anytime you add glass in front of a lens, you risk image degradation due to internal light reflections.

Personally, I think a hood is protection enough. You'll have to make up your own mind about it.
I agree. However, UV filters are frequently used to prevent (or at least, reduce) purple fringing. I put one on my Minolta 70-210/4.0 and have noticed the difference.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:35 PM   #13

I talked to a photography interested person at work today and told him what I had bought. He had very strong feelings about me doing the "wrong choice".

He thought I should have waited for the 450D (Rebel Xsi) and gone for the standard kit lens for that camera, instead of the third-party lens I bought now, to make up for the more expensive camera house.

He also meant that the salesperson was talking nonsense saying that the kit lens for both the 400D and the 450D were (to be harsh) "plastic fantastic", and that the kit lenses were actually 5 star performers and more than good enough to start out with. He also showed me reviews to back up his claims from good online sources.

The salesman even told me that with the standard 400D kit lens I should not expect any noticably better pictures than with my old digital P&s powershot S50, which sounds very strange to me.

I have the option to return the camera, and wait 1 more week to replace the camera house as well as the lens I bought with the new 450D version with akit lens - question is would you do it or stick with my current setup ? (Keep in mind that I am new to photography in general, and not an expert in any way)

I am even more confused than ever now

Thanks in advance for any pointers on this problem
HenrikH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:53 PM   #14
Administrator

Yea, yea, yea....

The newer 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens is a very good lens (testing much better than the non-IS versions of Canon's 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6)

But, the lens you bought is a brighter lens (roughly 50% brighter), which means you can get faster shutter speeds for any given lighting and ISO speed compared to the Canon kit lenses, old or new).

You'll also have a better range from wide to long (starts out a bit wider, goes all the way to 70mm) with the lens you've already bought. You have to look at the convenience of having more focal range in a single lens, too.

In addition, from the few sample photos I've seen from the 450D (and I haven't seen enough to make a firm call on it yet), the existing 10MP sensor in the 400D does better at higher ISO speeds, too.

Also, the suggested list price of the XSi kit with the 18-55mm IS lens is going to be $799. So, you'd have a camera and lens that probably costs more (depending on what you spent for the kit you got), without the range you'd have using the 17-70mm lens you already bought.

Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:01 PM   #15

Thanks for the super swift reply Jim !

I guess that means that keeping my 400D camera body and the Sigma 3rd party lens might be just as sound as replacing them both with the new 450D kit body + the 450 standard kit lens.

That is your point right ?
Oh, and my apologies for all the possibly stoopid questions
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:05 PM   #16
Administrator

There are pros and cons to both approaches, and the stablization feature can be nice to have, and the newer IS version of Canon's kit lens is very sharp.

But, you may also value the better range of the 17-70mm lens, and it's a brighter lens.

There is no perfect choice. So, I wouldn't let someone convince you that you made a bad choice. As I mentioned in my first post to this thread:

Quote:
That sounds like a really good starting kit, with a lens that's brighter than the standard kit lens, with better focal range from wide to long.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:15 PM   #17

Ok, I will keep my existing setup then. Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time and effort explaining this to me.

Now its off to play with my new camera, and possibly (if I dare) post some pictures for review

best regards from Norway
Old Mar 26, 2008, 1:22 PM   #18
Administrator

Also note this Canon user's comments about it:

Quote:
CONCLUSION: The Sigma 17-70 is an outstanding performer, far better than the Canon 18-55/4.5-5.6 kit lens. On an APS-C digital (1.6X Crop factor) camera, the Sigma performed very similar to my Canon 24mm prime. The only negative that I found was that the focusing ring turned while autofocusing. If your fingers interfere with the focus ring you could ruin the focus for that one shot.

UPDATE: This is a SERIOUSLY good lens. I had the oportunity to compare a few shots with a Canon EF 17-40/4. There was no difference on a 1.6 crop DSLR betweeen these two lenses. None! I am just so impressed with this Sigma 17-70!!!
http://www.pbase.com/jimcreek/sigma_1770_test_report