Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:35 AM   #1

I'd like to get my parents their first digital camera. They're competent, but not advanced, technology types -- they email and websurf, but are usually stymied by computer problems.

I'm looking for particular models which have:
- idiot-proof operation (and I mean that in a positive, loving way)
- compact size
- work with iPhoto (I guess most do)
- low shutter lag

Canon would be nice, since thatís what the rest of the family uses and we can give them tech support more easily.

Iím not concerned with much else (resolution, fancy features, etc.). This is just a starter camera to see how they like it.

Thanks!
Mike Morton in Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:32 AM   #2

How about the Powershot A470?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:49 AM   #3

I agree with Andy's recommendation. Steve just completed a full review of the Canon A-470 on this website. You might want to take a look at it. All in all the Canon A-470 is a very good value and a god camera. The only downside to it is its somewhat limited flash range which varies from 6 to 10 feet.

Saah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 5:41 PM   #4

We got one with shake reduction, Fuji I think as my FIL has a bit of Parkinson's. Big screen, easy to use, etc.

They like it and it works for them. They don't want something fancy, just something simple, easy to use, easy to carry and capable of reasonable photos.

We went to a full line camera store and knowing their needs, tried out a few and if I recall, Nikon, Pentax, Canon, Fuji all had models that would meet their needs.

Great thing about digital is that you can take a variety of pix (flash/non flash, portrait, wide angle, etc.) with the models you are interested in and see for yourself what model seems to work best for your parents.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:47 PM   #5

Quite honestly, I still believe that the best choice might indeed be the Canon A-470 camera. But, perhaps a few questions to your parents could posibly better clarify your choice options.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote