Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:34 AM   #1

Hi,

I have a Fuji S5600 whichoverall I am happy with howeverpictures in lowlight are not very good and shutter lag could be quicker. Its always a gamble until you view the pictures on the PC to what the image is like.

I only have a Budget of £120 ...£150 at a push and would like something with at least6x zoom andImage Stabilisation. Size ia not important, but needs to excel in low light and be quick!

Current deals on the Canon PowerShot A720 IS have made me start looking at a new camera at £105 or the Canon Powershot SX100IS at £150

Anyone got any advice to whether I would see a huge improvement over he S5600

Many thanks

Barry

bazza1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:04 PM   #2

I had the S5100 which is the same camera as the S5600. To tell the truth, I thought that camera's shutter lag was rather short and its low light performance was better than average.

The cameras you mentioned both have image stabilization but,judging from what I have read,neither is very good in low light . Since you areused to 10X optical zoom, I would imagine that you might like the SX100IS more.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:38 PM   #3

Barry-

Both the Canon SX-100IS and the A-720 IS are excellent cameras. Both have received excellent profesional and user reviews. Naturally, the Canon SX-100 IS has a longer zoom with 10X optical zoom and I have personally seen some ISO 800 and ISO 1600 photos taken by the SX-100 that were rather impressive indeed.

Sarah Joyce

ISO 1600

ISO 800

ISO 200, shutter speed 1/8, handheld

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 8:00 PM   #4

Barry,

Now if you want to go a step further and to get a really good EVF, in place of just an LCD for framing,you should consider the Canon S-5 camera. It is even beter than the SX-100. Here are two S-5 photo samples.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:24 PM   #5

Hi,

I am still looking. Currently trying to sell my old Nikon 35mm kit, hopefully to raise the extra to buy an entry level DSLR with a bog standard lens. The Nikon D40 is currently retailing in the UK for approx £245and i have a 70-300mm that will work on manual focus only until santa comes!

Fingers crossed

Regards

Barry

Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:45 PM   #6

Good Luck, Barry-

I got very, very tired of carrying around a huge and rather weighty DSLR kit. I finally won my freedom when I purchased the Canon S-5 & EX-430 external flash and I owned 4 differnt DSLR's!

I am much hapier now!

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:09 PM   #7

Hi,

I got myself a Graded D50 body today with a six month guarantee for £200. My old 35MM SLR AF lenses are working very well and already I am getting better results. I am 200 percent happy with the results.

Iam now in need of an el cheapo compact for the wife.

Thanks

Baz