Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:25 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Okay thank you so much for the advice....although I will be sticking to only Nikon and Canon for my choices of camera.....

I will check them both out then at a store as soon as i can. I was looking at prices online... and the rebel might be the way to go in terms of a good deal too....thanks again.
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:53 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Now I did some looking around... still havent made it to the store.. but..... I have another question about Canon in specific. With the Canon XTi being replaced with the newer Xsi..... which one should I go for of the two... is it really worth spending the money for the newer Xsi?

Also if I go for a Canon camera what lens should I go for in terms of the kind of shooting I will be doing (nightlife, city, beaches, cars, etc..)...and should I go with Image stabilization lens.... I'm really keen on getting really good lenses as bodies can always be upgraded and I would like to have lenses that I can use for a long time and be satisfied with them as my skill level goes up.

Im open to buying lenses that are non Canon but would prefer to stick with Canon based lens in the beggining if I buy a Canon camera!

So if there are any suggestions on that... that would be great (Im looking to get two lenses.... one shorter and longer)

thanks for all the help guys.... its much appreciated.
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:20 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

JayStar86 wrote:
Quote:
Now I did some looking around... still havent made it to the store.. but..... I have another question about Canon in specific. With the Canon XTi being replaced with the newer Xsi..... which one should I go for of the two... is it really worth spending the money for the newer Xsi?

Also if I go for a Canon camera what lens should I go for in terms of the kind of shooting I will be doing (nightlife, city, beaches, cars, etc..)...and should I go with Image stabilization lens.... I'm really keen on getting really good lenses as bodies can always be upgraded and I would like to have lenses that I can use for a long time and be satisfied with them as my skill level goes up.

Im open to buying lenses that are non Canon but would prefer to stick with Canon based lens in the beggining if I buy a Canon camera!

So if there are any suggestions on that... that would be great (Im looking to get two lenses.... one shorter and longer)

thanks for all the help guys.... its much appreciated.
Anyone?
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:51 AM   #14
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

JayStar86 wrote:
Quote:
Now I did some looking around... still havent made it to the store.. but..... I have another question about Canon in specific. With the Canon XTi being replaced with the newer Xsi..... which one should I go for of the two... is it really worth spending the money for the newer Xsi?
It's too new to say. I haven't formed a firm opinion about it yet. I doubt I'd pay more for the extra 2 Megapixels, though. Higher resolutions typically mean a tad more noise (and/or smoothing of detail from noise reduction) in a given sensor size. But, you have to take each camera on a case by case basis since progress is being made. We should start seeing more feedback about this new model soon.

Quote:
Also if I go for a Canon camera what lens should I go for in terms of the kind of shooting I will be doing (nightlife, city, beaches, cars, etc..)...
There's no perfect lens. For nightlife, I'd lean towards primes (fixed focal length versus zoom). For example, a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8. Those are much brighter than zooms.

For daytime use, one of the kit lenses may be fine. I'd probably lean towards a lens with a bit more range from wide to long as a general purpose walk around. For example, a Canon 17-85mm IS lens, or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4. You'd still want something longer for some shooting you plan on doing. In good light, there are many choices around, depending on your budget.

Quote:
...and should I go with Image stabilization lens.... I'm really keen on getting really good lenses as bodies can always be upgraded and I would like to have lenses that I can use for a long time and be satisfied with them as my skill level goes up.
There are pros and cons to any approach. I'm a big fan of stabilization, which is one reason I shoot with stabilized camera bodies (I've got a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony DSLR-A700 now). That way, any lens I use, including brighter primes, has the benefits of stabilization.

But, stabilization only helps with blur from camera shake, not from blur caused by subject movement. For that, you'll want a brighter lens (larger available apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers).

If you haven't used cameras much, you may also want to stick with just a basic camera/lens kit until you have a better idea of where you may need something longer, brighter, etc. That way, you're not spending a lot of money until you can figure out in what areas you need improvements for the type of shooting you do more often.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:21 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
JayStar86 wrote:
Quote:
Now I did some looking around... still havent made it to the store.. but..... I have another question about Canon in specific. With the Canon XTi being replaced with the newer Xsi..... which one should I go for of the two... is it really worth spending the money for the newer Xsi?
It's too new to say. I haven't formed a firm opinion about it yet. I doubt I'd pay more for the extra 2 Megapixels, though. Higher resolutions typically mean a tad more noise (and/or smoothing of detail from noise reduction) in a given sensor size. But, you have to take each camera on a case by case basis since progress is being made. We should start seeing more feedback about this new model soon.

Quote:
Also if I go for a Canon camera what lens should I go for in terms of the kind of shooting I will be doing (nightlife, city, beaches, cars, etc..)...
There's no perfect lens. For nightlife, I'd lean towards primes (fixed focal length versus zoom). For example, a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8. Those are much brighter than zooms.

For daytime use, one of the kit lenses may be fine. I'd probably lean towards a lens with a bit more range from wide to long as a general purpose walk around. For example, a Canon 17-85mm IS lens, or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4. You'd still want something longer for some shooting you plan on doing. In good light, there are many choices around, depending on your budget.

Quote:
...and should I go with Image stabilization lens.... I'm really keen on getting really good lenses as bodies can always be upgraded and I would like to have lenses that I can use for a long time and be satisfied with them as my skill level goes up.
There are pros and cons to any approach. I'm a big fan of stabilization, which is one reason I shoot with stabilized camera bodies (I've got a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony DSLR-A700 now). That way, any lens I use, including brighter primes, has the benefits of stabilization.

But, stabilization only helps with blur from camera shake, not from blur caused by subject movement. For that, you'll want a brighter lens (larger available apertures, represented by smaller f/stop numbers).

If you haven't used cameras much, you may also want to stick with just a basic camera/lens kit until you have a better idea of where you may need something longer, brighter, etc. That way, you're not spending a lot of money until you can figure out in what areas you need improvements for the type of shooting you do more often.
Thanks for the reply Jim...... so Im thinking maybe save some $$$'s buy getting a good deal on the Xti(there are good deals around now on it) and use the saved $$$'s on better lens as I get more experienced and then later on just get a better body (ex. 40D).

I think that might be the way to go.... what do you say?

Also I presume lens I use on the Xti should work for a higher up model Canon camera for the most part, right?


JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:03 AM   #16
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

JayStar86 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Jim...... so Im thinking maybe save some $$$'s buy getting a good deal on the Xti(there are good deals around now on it) and use the saved $$$'s on better lens as I get more experienced and then later on just get a better body (ex. 40D).
That's up to you. You'll need to make the decision. I'd make sure to try out models you consider in a store to make sure you're comfortable with the body ergonomics, viewfinder, etc.

As for using lenses you buy on another model later... that depends on the model.

Canon's EF-S lenses will only work on cameras with APS-C size sensors. You'll see the same thing with some of the third party lenses (for example, Sigma's DC lenses and Tamron's Di II lenses will only work on a camera with an APS-C sensor size.

So, if you decided to upgrade to a body with a larger sensor later (for example, a Canon EOS-5D), you'd need to make sure any lens you want to use was designed for a larger sensor (i.e., also able to work on a 35mm model).

IOW, you'd need to stick with Canon EF versus EF-S mount lenses, and avoid Sigma's DC lenses and Tamron's Di II lenses if you want them to work on a body with a larger sensor later.

Lenses designed for an APS-C sensor allow the manufacturers to make them smaller and lighter for a given focal range/brightness. But, the downside is that they won't work properly on a camera using a larger sensor or film size.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:40 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
pagerboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 483
Default

You could probably buy the Canon Rebel XT setup for cheap(under $600 with kit lens) and use that for awhile until you get the feel then upgrade later.

I'm going with the Xsi because the 40D is out of my range for now.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:36 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
JayStar86 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Jim...... so Im thinking maybe save some $$$'s buy getting a good deal on the Xti(there are good deals around now on it) and use the saved $$$'s on better lens as I get more experienced and then later on just get a better body (ex. 40D).
That's up to you. You'll need to make the decision. I'd make sure to try out models you consider in a store to make sure you're comfortable with the body ergonomics, viewfinder, etc.

As for using lenses you buy on another model later... that depends on the model.

Canon's EF-S lenses will only work on cameras with APS-C size sensors. You'll see the same thing with some of the third party lenses (for example, Sigma's DC lenses and Tamron's Di II lenses will only work on a camera with an APS-C sensor size.

So, if you decided to upgrade to a body with a larger sensor later (for example, a Canon EOS-5D), you'd need to make sure any lens you want to use was designed for a larger sensor (i.e., also able to work on a 35mm model).

IOW, you'd need to stick with Canon EF versus EF-S mount lenses, and avoid Sigma's DC lenses and Tamron's Di II lenses if you want them to work on a body with a larger sensor later.

Lenses designed for an APS-C sensor allow the manufacturers to make them smaller and lighter for a given focal range/brightness. But, the downside is that they won't work properly on a camera using a larger sensor or film size.
Alrighty then..... thanks for your knowledge and help.... I think Im set now in terms what to get. Im probably going to get an Xti and try to get lens that will be compatible with Canon cameras all the way to the top of line as I get more of them.

ps. I did check it out in the stores.... I liked both the Nikon and Canon.... but for the price point and considering that I know im going to want to get a higher up camera in 1-2 years.... i think getting the Xti versus Xsi wont be end of the world.
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 2:44 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

What do you think if I got the Canon Xti with two sigma lenses in stead of the standard Canon package.....

this is what I am looking at..... Canon Xti with Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG AF Lens and the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Lens.....do you think it will serve better for a starter kit than the regular 18-55mm Canon lens.....Also will these lens work with larger sensor camera's later on as I was mentioning before?

thanks a bunch!
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:59 AM   #20
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

That's a relatively poor quality set of lenses. You often seen vendors bundling that pair to make their kits sound like they're worth more.

You can sometimes find those two lenses in a pair brand new for under $200 at some of the reputable dealers around. Separately, they're not worth much over $100 each new (and very little at all used).

In addition, you may find that 28mm is not wide enough on a DSLR using an APS-C size sensor. You'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) with a given focal length lens on a DSLR with a smaller sensor.

On a model like the Canon XTi, you have to multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.6x to see what focal length you'd need using a camera with a 35mm size film or sensor, for the same angle of view. IOW, a 28mm lens on the XTi would give you the roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 45mm lens on a 35mm camera (1.6 x 28mm ~= 45mm).

You can only back up so far and get what you want in the frame in some conditions. That's why the kit lenses with most entry level DSLR models tend to start out at around 18mm (because they will appear to be longer on a DSLR model using an APS-C size sensor).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:41 AM.