Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:45 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

Hey Guys,

new here......

So I am looking to get my first DSLR Camera. Ill describe my situation in a nutshell so that I can get some good advice from you guys out there as to whcih camera I should get.

So here it goes....

Basically what I want to do is a little bit of everything in terms of shooting things.... A little bit of nature, some sports and moving shots of cars....most if what I will be shooting is "street" stuff..... capturing random moments, people, random city shots, nightlife, beaches, etc.... and some car/motorcycle shots (still).

In addition to this if I realy fall in love with photography.... I think I might end up in school taking a few classes here and their....maybe work towards my diploma.


So.... there it is..... I have really been looking hard at the Nikon D60 (with two VR Lenses and wide angle).... I compared it to an entry level Canon DSLR and the white the Nikon captured was amazing. However, I am very limited in terms of dslr camera knowledge and would like suggestions from you guys as to what I should get. Now im not looking for real high end pro stuff advice.....just entry level that will atleast keep me occupied to 2-3 years while my skills go up.

And I also am interested in what company you think is better Nikon or Canon in the long run in terms of lens interchangeability and stuff like that.... which would you go with.... as I would like to be able to use my lens i buy now 10 years down the road on a new body if i so choose.


Thanks a bunch guys... and look forward to posting up around here.

Jay

JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2008, 5:01 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
rjseeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Taylor Mill, Kentucky
Posts: 2,398
Default

The D60 is apparently a good camera. But then again, you'd do fine with almost any entry level DSLR out there. If you're happier with the images and the way the camera feels, then by all means go with it. You're lenses should work fine in the future, but then again nothing is guarenteed. Nikon recently stripped the focus motor out of its entry level cameras, rendering most older lenses with inoperable auto focus ability. The good news is all new Nikon lenses have the focus motor built in, and all future lens releases should have that built in. The 3rd party vendors are also getting on board, so lens selection should continue to get better. However, there are no guarentees, and companies occasionally switch lens mounts.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:59 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

So your saying stick with Nikon then?
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2008, 2:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 13,572
Default

JayStar86 wrote:
Quote:
Basically what I want to do is a little bit of everything in terms of shooting things.... A little bit of nature, some sports and moving shots of cars....most if what I will be shooting is "street" stuff..... capturing random moments, people, random city shots, nightlife, beaches, etc.... and some car/motorcycle shots (still).
I would say that the autofocus system in the Canon dSLRs is better than the system used in the Nikon dLSRs, especially in the entry level offerings.

Because of that, I think that, for most of what you say you want to shoot, you'd be better off with the Canon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:40 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

which Canon dlsr camera would you guys reccomend then at the entry level that I should take a look at?

JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 3:59 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

ATCav wrote:
Quote:
JayStar86 wrote:
Quote:
Basically what I want to do is a little bit of everything in terms of shooting things.... A little bit of nature, some sports and moving shots of cars....most if what I will be shooting is "street" stuff..... capturing random moments, people, random city shots, nightlife, beaches, etc.... and some car/motorcycle shots (still).
I would say that the autofocus system in the Canon dSLRs is better than the system used in the Nikon dLSRs, especially in the entry level offerings.

Because of that, I think that, for most of what you say you want to shoot, you'd be better off with the Canon.
What if I were shooting with VR lens on the Nikon....would that make up for the motor differential?

JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:26 PM   #7
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

VR means that a Nikkor lens has Vibration Reduction. That has nothing to do with the Autofocus System type or speed.

But, most lenses with VR are also AF-S (Silent Wave Focus) lenses that can autofocus on a D40, D40x, or D60. Make sure the specific lens you look at with VR also says AF-S.

From the tests I've seen, the 3 point Autofocus Sytem in the D40, D40x, and D60 is not as fast as the better 9 point Autofocus Systems in the Canon Rebel XTi or Sony DSLR-A200. But, it's still a bit faster than some of the other cameras around (for example, the Olympus entry level models).


JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:30 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
VR means that a Nikkor lens has Vibration Reduction. That has nothing to do with the Autofocus System type or speed.

But, most lenses with VR are also AF-S (Silent Wave Focus) lenses that can autofocus on a D40, D40x, or D60. Make sure the specific lens you look at with VR also says AF-S.

From the tests I've seen, the 3 point Autofocus Sytem in the D40, D40x, and D60 is not as fast as the better 9 point Autofocus Systems in the Canon Rebel XTi or Sony DSLR-A200. But, it's still a bit faster than some of the other cameras around (for example, the Olympus entry level models).

Thanks for the info....newbie here. Looks like a lot if you guys seem to think Canon is the way to go. I will look into both camera's then.
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:42 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 54
Default

To be more specific in this thread then..... Which Camera would you guys get if you had the choice...... Canon XTi or the Nikon D60...... I will probably get two lens for both 18-55 and 55-200.
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:00 PM   #10
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

Try them both in a store and see what you think. Many stores have demo cameras.

The D60 has the advantage of higher available ISO speeds (up to ISO 3200). But, from tests I've seen, it also has higher noise levels at it's higher ISO speed settings (for example, the Canon does better at ISO 1600).

The Canon would give you more flexibility in other lens choices, if you decided the two lens kits were not adequate for the types of images you want to get.

You may also want to consider the new Sony DSLR-A200 (as well as similar models from Pentax and Olympus).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:01 AM.