Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:02 PM   #1

Hi guys

I'm looking for a camera to use with my powered paraglider. I always film a whole flight, nonstop. One minute before I start the engine to the go-go-go-phase, when you really have to run for a couple of seconds with the whole gear on your back, take-off, flight and landing.

The camera has to have the following specifications:

Must have accu-packs, or batteries which arerecharcheable by the power adaptor

Must have a SD-card slot, capable of inserting SD-memory-cards with no limitations concerning the memory size. Battery life and memory size must correspond. 1GB filming=1 hour energy

If the camera accepts 2GB or higher, the battery should provide the according lifetime.

The camera definitelyshould have an automatic display-shut-down feature after a certain amount of time or I must beable tomanually turn off the display to save battery life. This is very important.

The camera must be vibration-proof. Important in the departure phase of a flight, because the vibrations of the glider are strongest on theground after starting the engine. The whole thing starts to shake and it's only getting better when airborne.

Very few mechanically moving parts. The less the better. Lightweight but not fragile. I already wrecked my son's camera, a Maginon Slimline X60, due to the strong vibrations the zoom won't move anymore.

Flash is not needed. Neither is audio recording. Nice to have but notrequired.

Not too many features, easy to use, still acceptable quality. I use the movies for private purposes, they won't appear on TV :-)

Computer connector cable should be there and that's about it.

I thank you all for any replies and advice

Freshriver
Freshriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2008, 9:12 PM   #2

Freshriver,

You might want to investigate the Olympus Stylus SW series, they are the only ones I'm aware of that advertise as shockproof, but that's concerned with dropping them. I don't really know all their capabilities vs your prerequisites, so you will need to do some digging there. Or, perhaps someone with this series can fill in the blanks. It's a start.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...digital_sw.asp

good luck,
Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:45 AM   #3

Hi Dennis

Thanks for your reply! I downloaded the manual but I am still unsure about the auto display shut down feature. Is it correct that, when activated,the display will beturned off after a while while still filming?

Doesn't look bad though. We're getting closer. A camera with ahigher movieimage size than 640*480 would be perfect. My main purpose is filming not taking photographs, so I don't care about too many setting possibilities.

Greets

Freshriver
Freshriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:00 AM   #4

Freshriver,

Sorry, after reading through the user manual, it dawned on me that these cameras do not have a view finder in addition to their LCD display. That suggests to me that you cannot shut down the LCD while "filming" with it, since there would be no viewport for you. You need a camera that also has a viewfinder; optical (OVF) or electronic (EVF). Such cameras normally allow you to shut down the LCD or the EVF. I am not aware of other vibration-proof cameras that would fit your rugged requirements.

Perhaps someone else can help, and post their response?

good luck,
Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote