Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:12 AM   #1

I am looking out for a camera for my three year old guy . Pretty keen on using a camera and often flicks my fuji s5500 when I need it.

I am looking at Canon A570 IS. Is that a good choice

My requirements are just P & S with some movie mode thrown in. Nothing fancy.
gbharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:49 AM   #2

The Canon A-570 Is is a good choice for a starter camera. Selling in the same price range is the Fiji S-700. It proves a 10X optical zoom, but no IS.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:57 AM   #3

My three year old uses my old Sony P52, my tip is, buy anything with an internal zoom lens, kids aint fussy where they put the camera down on or where they put sticky fingers:G
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:12 PM   #4

The Fuji A-700 has a fully enclosed zoom lens, that is why I suggested it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 2:47 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I would seriously consider the Olympus SW "rugged" cameras.

A well-behaved little one is unlikely to intentionally break a camera, but little fingers can easily drop things and cameras break easily.

The current model is something like the 790 SW.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:53 AM   #6

I'd probably go as cheap as possible. You really don't need anything full featured, as a 3 year old is not going to take advantage of the features. There are plenty of good cameras out there for under $100 in the used market. A 3 year old is likely to break or lose or lose interest in a camera fairly quickly, regardless of how rugged or weather sealed it is. I'd start on ebay looking for something maybe 2-3 years old that you can get in the $50-100 range.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 3:30 PM   #7

For a 3 year old? Try the Kid-tough camera from Fisher-Price. It's indestructible and made for kids. It's $55. My 5 year old daughter loves hers, and she snaps pictures of everything. She doesn't worry about image quality, just the fact that it's there.

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?...&pid=41306

I think anything more on a 3 year old would be a waste, and would probably break the first time they drop it. And they will drop it, they're 3.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:55 PM   #8

I can't imagine anything with more than 3X optical being robust enough to stand up to the torture a 3 year old will inflict on it. That kid camera sounds like a good idea. I assume it is built about as bulletproof as it can be.
pete9686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:40 PM   #9

The KidTough camera is a SMASH with my 4 year old. She got it for Christmas when she was three. LOVES it! All she cares about is that there's a picture there. Quality is not the concern with this age - DURABILITY is everything.

I read where a KidTough camera was run over by a minivan and survived in tact and functional.

Only problem I've run into is with the USB connector. Something's wrong with ours, and when you plug it in, the camera says it's connected, but the computer sees nothing. Solution - SD card and a card reader. No big.
DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 1:39 AM   #10
Super Moderator

The only problem I have with the kidtough cameras is that their resolution is so low that the only way to view the picture is on a computer.

Kids like prints and you can't make decent ones with the kidtough.

I guess it comes down to whether you actually think your child will take any photos that will be worth holding on to in the long run or whether it's "just" a toy. Toys are good things; they stimulate learning and creativity and the kittough is fantastic for that. It's just not any good as a camera.

My little one goes through phases of wanting to take pictures (mostly copying daddy) and I give her my P&S and DSLR to use but there have been a couple of close calls. She nearly dropped the P&S in a pond once, which would have been the end of it.

But the weird thing is that some of her photos are actually quite interesting. Capturing the world from a child's viewpoint is pretty amazing. For that reason my choice is a real camera rather than a toy camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote