Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2008, 8:08 AM   #1

So i havent ever used a camera but am really interested inART andSTREET photography and have been sold on the idea of buying a SLR.

I wouldnt want to spend more then $800 on the first year and would want to blow up the pics (10x12).
i am only looking for either a Canon or a nikon, that im sure about. but would want an easy to use camrea that will fit Art and street. will not shoot sports or portraits (people).

please keep in mind i dont want to but can spend $150 more on lens if i have too.
Would prefer to shoot in B/W or monotones or Contrasting colours .(i.e where one subect is coloured and others re black and white or blurry).
Would not prefer to use photoshop.
ahmed Niz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
I wouldnt want to spend more then $800 on the first year...
[snip]
please keep in mind i dont want to but can spend $150 more on lens if i have too.
What is your initial budget for a camera with lenses (the total amount you want to spend now to get started)? Your post about budget isn't quite clear to me.

What conditions do you plan on shooting in (day, night, indoors, etc.)?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Would prefer to shoot in B/W or monotones or Contrasting colours .(i.e where one subect is coloured and others re black and white or blurry).
Would not prefer to use photoshop.
Most cameras have a black and white mode, or even sepia. You will not be able to shoot in selective color (part of the image in b&W, part in color) without post processing. Post processing is an important part of all digital photography and will give you the best results regardless of the camera you choose.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 2:43 PM   #4

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Post processing is an important part of all digital photography and will give you the best results regardless of the camera you choose.
I really want to emphasize this statement. People seem to expect a DSLR to be a magical point-and-shoot. It isn't. If you expect it to be, you'll end up being disapointed. With a lot of experience you can get the images out of the camera looking better and better but 95% of all images taken can be greatly improved with post processing.

First of all though - working behind the camera. You're going to have to learn how to best use the tool - what the different metering modes are and how they work - when to use one vs. the other. When to trust the camera's metering and when to override it. What shutter speeds you need for motion affects - what apertures to use to control depth of field. The camera cant read your mind. So, you have to be willing to learn about photography to get better results out of the camera. Dont get me wrong - all entry level DSLRs have auto mode - but that just means you can get poor photos out of it just like you could out of a digicam in auto mode.

Also regarding post processing - you'd be amazed what a few seconds to a minute on each photo can do to improve it. Cropping, doing some levels work and unsharp mask can improve every photo you take.

And as pointed out - if you want to do selective coloring you'll have to post process.

That doesn't mean you have to use Photoshop CS3 - there are free tools out there and very good tools for under $100.

In the end, the decision is still yours - you could decide not to post process and you could decide to leave the camera in auto mode but you'll easily cut in half the potential of your photos by doing so.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 2:28 AM   #5

Thanks people ... ill work on post processing and other camera techs also....

... but the main question still is what DSLR should i get.

Budget is $820. But i can ( although i really dont want too) spend an extra $150 for better lens.

Type of Photography im interested in is Art and Street.

ill be shooting mostly in the evenings or night as i work 8-7.

Only interested in Nikon or Canon (more so canon- as my dad had one when i was a kid) as these are the only brands which have official outlets in Pakistan (read: warranty works/parts available etc).

Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 2:34 AM   #6

and Mr Jim C.

Will be shooting everywhere... indoors/ outdoors etc ....

thanks

Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:32 AM   #7
Administrator

ahmed Niz wrote:
Quote:
Type of Photography im interested in is Art and Street.

ill be shooting mostly in the evenings or night as i work 8-7.
Let's make sure I understand this part...

Do you want to be able to take photos at night without a tripod or flash?

That's tough to do for street photography. If your subject is moving any, you'll tend to get motion blur by street lights.

You'd probably want something like a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, or a camera manufacturer's 35mm or 50mm f/1.4 for a higher percentage of keepers with less blur in that kind of lighting.

Something like a 50mm f/1.4 usually runs around $300 from most camera manufacturers. A 35mm f/1.4 is usually much more. Sigma's 30mm f/1.4 is a bargain in this niche for around $429. These are non-zoom lenses (zooms won't be bright enough for this purpose).

I'd clarify if you need to take photos of moving subjects or not at night, and if you can use a flash or not for better suggestions. Even if you get a brighter prime, you'll probably want a zoom as a general purpose walk around in good light (for example, the manufacturer's kit lens, usually an 18-55mm or 18-70mm type lens).

Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:25 PM   #8

I know you are trying to get us to name a brand or even a particular model - but either of those brands will serve you very well indeed. Only you can tell which model will suit you best by handeling them in a shop. dSLRS are very good - but as stated already - if you want to consistantly get the best then consider post processing as an integral part of your photography.

~ as for models - I am not sure how the money translates - so I am not sure which ones fall into your budget. Cetrtainly I would also consider older models. Ie if it's canon then the 350D, 400D as well as the new 450D - or if money stretches and you prefer bigger - the 30D (now pretty much superceded by the 40D) or even a 20D

Similarly with the Nikon range - D40's & 40X's are great - a second hand or old stock D50 would be a good deal. The new D60 looks good and the D80is nice too. If you can afford a D200 or even D300 ( probably not) they are great

sorry if I missed any models out!!!
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 4:59 AM   #9

JIM C WROTE:

"Something like a 50mm f/1.4 usually runs around $300 from most camera manufacturers. A 35mm f/1.4 is usually much more. Sigma's 30mm f/1.4 is a bargain in this niche for around $429. These are non-zoom lenses (zooms won't be bright enough for this purpose).

First of all, thank youall.... am getting great imput .

but, JIMC (or Mr. JimC)which is one lensi should buy for the photography im interested in ..... ill buymore glass next yearor so .... but one lens which u think is a must .... Again: for street and art photography,at evenings or night mostly , NO TRIPOD, camera built in Flash ( for the firstyear) and ill buy the camera with the kit lens wont buy the body only...

secondly i dont get the second part of your..awnser :

"I'd clarify if you need to take photos of moving subjects or not at night, and if you can use a flash or not for better suggestions. Even if you get a brighter prime, you'll probably want a zoom as a general purpose walk around in good light (for example, the manufacturer's kit lens, usually an 18-55mm or 18-70mm type lens)."

Also ive narrowed down my choices to either the Canon 400d or the Nikon 40d

now i know this is the BMW vs Mercedesdebate... but which wuld be a better camerato suit the style of photography im interested in and keepning in mind that i havent ever worked with a camera ... not even a point and shoot... also,ill go to the shop, get their feel etc ... but right now i only want you peoples opinion....

please ... for abegginer, who will realises he should be spending more on lens in the years to come ... but to start with - which camera... canon 400d or nikon d40?

Also someone told me that the 450d will have spot metering ... which the 400d doesnt ... is that of any importance to me ........ the price difference is abou $150 in both cameras ... should i be spending that much for spot difference?

please help
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:04 AM   #10
Administrator

I would be more considered with other differences between them.

The Canon has a better autofocus system. So, I'd take that into consideration.

You can also find more lenses that will autofocus with the Canon. The Nikon will only autofocus with lenses that have focus motors built in. That means that some of Nikon's lenses like the 50mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.8 will not Autofocus on a D40, D40x, or D60. All other Nikon DSLR bodies have built in focus motors except for these 3 models.

I'd probably lean towards the Canon. But, try them in a store to see what feels better to you. I'd probably get a 50mm f/1.8 (under $100) to go with it on a tight budget for low light use.

It looks like the XTi body only is running around $519 at some reputable vendors. The 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens would be a good choice as a walk around lens. It's around $179. But, it looks like most vendors are out of stock right now. Another option would be an XSi kit including this lens.

A brighter lens may be a better choice in some conditions. But, it would be hard to squeeze in an f/2.8 zoom. You may want to consider something like a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 AF lens instead of an 18-55mm, too. It's around $389. So, that would put you over budget. That would give you a bit more range from wide to long in a slightly brighter lens. It can maintain f/4 through about 50mm, which is twice as bright as an 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lens would be zoomed in that far. But, it doesn't have stabilization. Both are a compromise in what area or another. There's no one perfect lens. ;-)