Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:31 AM   #1

I would also consider others, does anyone have an opion on which camera takes great pictures in almost all situations? it will be run mostly in auto.

Kodak easy share 712 pictures looked good too.
saski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:10 PM   #2

Either the Kodak Z-712 or the Panasonic FZ-8 are well price and should serve your purposes well. Here is a photo sample from my FZ-7 taken without flash at ISO 200, handheld.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:35 PM   #3

saski wrote:
Quote:
I would also consider others, does anyone have an opion on which camera takes great pictures in almost all situations? it will be run mostly in auto.
I would caution - no camera in existence takes great pictures in almost all situations in AUTO mode. Many cameras will take great pictures in some situations in auto mode. Some cameras are capable of taking great photos in MORE situations but just not in auto mode.

So you'll have to invest a little bit of time learning some things about photography if you want great pictures in almost all situations. Otherwise no matter what camera you get, you'll likely end up beig disapointed in more difficult shooting situations.

For example: knowing when to use fill flash, knowing when to adjust ISO manually, knowing when you might need to use exposure compensatio

So, all the cameras mentioned might be capable tools but you still need to know how to use those tools in tough situations. Cameras haven't gotten to the point yet that they can figure all that stuff out in difficult situations.

In the end they're still just tools - if you learn to use them they'll take very good photos in quite a lot of situations (although not all). but if you dont learn to use them you'll find they take poor photos in difficult situations
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 4:06 PM   #4

JohnG-

You have made an excellent point. Only , by really know your camera and how to handle an assortment of photo situations will you ever get consistently great photos. It is all part of the learning process.

The only camera that I have found that does measurable more than other in the Auto Mode is the Sony H-3. It is actually a very capable camera. You might want to take a look at the professional review that http://www.imagingresources.com did on the H-3.

So if your desire is to use the proposed camera in the Auto Mode the majority of the time, then the Sony H-3 is worth a very good look.

Here arethree photo samples from the Sony H-3, alldone in the Auto Mode. The first is a typical outdoors photo.

The second shot is a simple Macro Photo done at our table in a restaurant without any flash at all.

The third shot is your typical flash photo taken at a family gathering. What is different in this case is the fact that the H-3 was 18 feet away from the subjects. Most digicams would produce a seriously under exposed photo due to their flash range limitation of 10 to 12 feet. In this case the Sony H-3 in the Auto Mode did exactly what it was supposed to do, it nicely compensated for the greater than normal camera to subject range and produced a good photo. As a digital camera instructor, I have used many cameras, and I also test to see how well the do in the Auto Mode. The Sony H-3 camera does very well indeed in the Auto Mode, much beter than most other comparable cameras and it also delivers 10X optical zoom with excellent colors.

So take a good look and tell me what you think, please.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply and the great info, I looked at pictures from all the cameras and they all seem very good.

I am willing to make adjustments to the camera to get optimum results, I some knowledge but have alot to learn.

Sony H3, Panasonic FZ 8, or Kodak Z712 all had great pictures, which do you think is the best?
saski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:43 PM   #6

The Sony H-3 will be your best all around camera, and it is the best of the group in the Auto Mode. It also has the best flash range with 8mp. However it does not have an optical viewfinder nor an EVF. However, I have found the LCD screen to be quite usable under all lighting conditions. If you have a personal need for either an EVF or an optical viewfinder, then I suggest you take a good look at the Sony H-5 camera.

The Canon A-650, Kodak Z-712, Canon S-5, Panasonic FZ-3 and TZ-5 will all show visible noise at any ISO setting over 200 ISO as well as Noise Reduction smearing of fine detailand visible artifacts. The TZ-5 does not have an optical view finder. Fuji 31FD cameras are very dificult to find. E-Bay might be a source, but there will be no warranty.

The Canon SX-100 is another possibility but it too does not have an optical viewfinder nor an EVF. The Canon A-650 at 12mp is overkill. Most printers will not be able to actually print the recorded detail, so why pay for it.

The Canon S-5 does have a hotshoe on which you can mount an external flas such as the Canon EX-430, which overcomes the very low powered and short flash range of the S-5's built-in flash which has a max flash range of about 10 feet. However, you have to be willing to spend the $(US) 200.00+ for the Canon EX-430 flash t make the Canon S-5 equal to the performance of the Sony H-3.

If you will be consistently using this proposed new camera in the Auto Mode, then I sincerely believe that the Sony H-3 is your best bet. It is also a conveniently small digital camera. Normally I am not a big Sony fan at all. I usually will go with Canon. However, in the case of the Sony H-3, Sony has made a concerted effort to produce a darned good camera that handles the Auto Mode rather well. And that feature I believe will work best for you as you like using the Auto Mode.

I hope this helps.

Sarah Joyce