Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:01 PM   #11

Hi mtclimber-

Thanks for this thought-provoking post. I have been asking myself this question. I grew up on a 35-mm film MinoltaX-370. I loved it. I used manual focus but all other settings on auto. Sadly it was destroyed. I have inherited a Canon Powershot A300 and am frustrated by the lag time and not being able to get candids as I used to easily with the Minolta. That is what has led me to the hunt for a dSLR, but maybe there are more responsive point-and-shoots that I am not aware of?
LydiabCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:19 PM   #12

Lydia-

The key question is how much you want to spend, and what features that you want. A good place to begin is with Steve's Best Camera List.

If your desire is to purchase during the balance of 2008, then this bit of rumor will not be of interest to you.However, arumor began making the rounds of the camera dealers this morning that Canon will introduce at least one model of their point & shoot camera line equipped with a new proprietary Canon CMOS chip. The CMOS chip, which is normally found only in DSLR cameraswould replace the CCD imager.

That would be a huge market strategy change for the entire digicam market. The rumor claims that the announcement will be made at PMA 2009.

As usual, digital cameras are evolving all the time. There are many good, well priced digicams available on the market today, that do not suffer from shutter lag and a whole list of other gripes that affected many of the earlier digital cameras.

Here is a good example photo. It was taken by a Canon SX-100 ultrazoom (10X optical zoom) that sells for around $(US) 210.00.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:28 PM   #13

Sarah-

Thanks for the reply and that is a lovely shot.

Another reason I am drawn to dSLR is that I like the look ofa sharp subject/blurry background and am not sure how to achieve it with anything but my old Minolta. I have a LOT to learn!
LydiabCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:42 PM   #14

Point-n-shoots, with their tiny sensors and lenses, will never be able to attain the shallow DOF that an SLR can with its much larger sensor - its simply a matter of physics.

That said, the inverse is somewhat true - P&S cameras can have monstrous DOF at large apertures. You can often capture an entire scene with good definitionand sharpness at f/2.8, which may require f/8 or smaller with an SLR.

Mtclimber, do you have any idea if the new Canon CMOS sensor will appear in a small P&S or an ultrazoom? You seem to have your ear close to the ground!
brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 5:00 PM   #15

The guess among the camera dealers here is that the CMOS imager might be introduced in the new SX line of Canon point & shoot cameras. Currently, there is only one digital camera in the SX line and I believe it is the SX-100, a lower priced ultra zoom, that was designed not to compete with Canon's S-5.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:23 AM   #16

Sarah you asked exactly what I've been thinking about slrs. I'd appreciate your advice then. I completed a basic photo Polytech course 8 yrs ago and we used a film slr (Phenix DC 303K). We did a variety of photography and experimented in the dark room. I made grainy posters with people, street life and so on and experimented with nature (flowers etc) and sunsets. With a lapse of 5 years (health probs) I went (with the advent of digis since my course) I went off and bought a basic 6mp ps camera for family shots etc. It's gotten me enthusiastic again and I've begun looking at dslrs - particularly Canon 400D and Nikon D60 as recommended as good entry points for amateurs. Basically I want to continue where I left off in my course - similar subjects. I also want to sell stock photos (never done it before). Being a bit rusty now I presume, given the screeds I've read that I probablyDO need to begin with an entry level dslr? What do you think?

My other query is (and I'm new to the software thing) - all the experimentation we did in the dark room produced nice grainy effects and so on - is this, given a dslr, achieved with the likes of Photoshop and if so, given what I intend doing, (much like your original Q of 'do you actually need an slr?') do I also need software as costly as PS, or will a cheaper variety do? I already have some really nice pics taken with my 6mp camera but see that they're not really saleable as they are-too small. Can they be changed or do Ihave tostart from scratch with the better camera?

I would greatly appreciate your advice. I am new to these forums by the way - this site in fact - only just discovered it, as you do when immersed in the whole big 'what shall I buy' conundrum!!! I look forward to hearing from anybody who can comment here. cheers.
georgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:53 PM   #17

georgus-

Can you be a bit more specific about the kind of photo output you are seeking? You mention "saleable," does that mean something like post cards or what? The key is selecting the proper camera for the job at hand.

If you are looking for a very shallow depth of field, then a DSLR camera will have a definite edge. However, if you are looking for a great and almost continuous depth of field, such as one often finds in scenic or landscape type post cards, then a good digicam can do that task rather nicely. The attached photo taken in New Zealand was used commercially for a post card and it was taken with a Sony H-5 camera.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:18 PM   #18

I have since restarted this discussion on the 'what to buy' board - I noted that you would be away 3 mnths but being new didn't occur that you would answer whilst travelling. Thanks! Actually they've put in some interesting feedback which I will respond to (was in the midst of) - I think i do need a dslr because I do also want to continue with nature, sunsets, posters/people etc. My mention of selling was that I'd been told images are saleable online so really was just looking to diversify my income that way (tho it seems it's not such a lucrative avenue anyway.) I do love scenery (and the NZ photo is beautiful-love my country) - but have all these other things as well I want to do as explained - continuing on from where I left off on the course - it's just that digital is a whole new world for me - and it was where to start with that. I had read your query about do you you need slr and that's what I'd been asking myself.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:41 PM   #19

georgus-

Thanks for your reply. You have made a very important personal first step. You have decided that you definitely need a DSLR camera. Good for you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:01 PM   #20

Thanks Sarah. I gather you are away working 3 months so appreciate your responding. I will start my search for a dslr. :-)