Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:02 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply john. As you say, it's a balancing act. You can have your cake and eat it too......but, it'll cost you.

I keep going back and forth. Not sure what to get. Some that I like include the fuji S700, kodak Z series, and quite a few more.

I really like the canon SX100 for it's features, manual control and size BUT the danged thing doesn't have a view finder!!!! I would gladly trade the LCD for a decent view finder.

Well, keep the suggestions coming folks.

More comments on point and shoot manual focus capability or lack thereof, would be appreciated. Some of the reading I have done seems to indicate that you just don't have the kind of control or viewfinder image quality to make it worthwhile with anything short of a DSLR. What do you folks think?

Thanks,

Pete
pete9686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:05 PM   #12

even DSLRs are tough to manuall focus. They don't come with a split prism screen and the viewfinders are often not bright enough on all but the expensive models. Not an issue if you've got lots of time to focus but for sports work I wouldn't want to manually focus with the viewfinders in most DSLRs (you can get different screens, but the size and brightness is also an issue). I couldn't imagine trying with a digicam.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:00 PM   #13

Yeah, I really miss split prism view finders. I stopped inot kmart this afternoon and looked at the fuji S700. Nice camera. I played with the manual focus and found that it was pretty useless. Either through the viewfinder or LCD I could not tell the difference between focused and out of focus. I don't suppose my 45 year old eyes helped matters much either.

I think that it was pretty well put in an earlier post that the best strategy is to just go with the lowest F stop possible and hope that you get enough depth of field in your shot.

Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:11 PM   #14

pete9686 wrote:
Quote:
I think that it was pretty well put in an earlier post that the best strategy is to just go with the lowest F stop possible and hope that you get enough depth of field in your shot.

You can try it but dont count on it providing much success. Not sure where you read the suggestion as I couldn't find it here.

But at least it costs you no money to try with your current gear.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:53 AM   #15

Well, I finally got one a used A2 off ebay. It comes with a warantee through mack camera which is good till 2010.

After bouncing around between a few different cameras and getting outbid on a few, I found this A2 with a buy it now of 250. 15 bucks gets the warrantee transfered to me.

The SLR like focusing ability was the deciding factor for me. From what I read, this is about as good a manual focus as you are gonna find without going to a DSLR.

Thanks to all for your very helpful comments.

One other question. Can extra screw on lenses be added incase the 7X ain't enough?

Pete
Old Mar 29, 2008, 9:40 PM   #16

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. However, you have to consider that Konica-Minolta has not produced a digicam for more than, maybe two years. So your only hope of finding an add-on lens for that camera might only exist on E-Bay. I wish you luck.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:39 AM   #17

Sarah,

I realize that they no longer make digicams. I think sony swallowed them up, didn't they? I have looked on ebay and other places and there is plenty of stuff out there. They use a 49 mm screw on fitting which I believe is very common.

I am considering buying a flash for it. The seller of my camera has one for the A2, but, he wants some pretty good money for it. There are other makes that will work for alot less. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding flashes?

Pete