Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:50 AM   #1

Hello everyone, can I get some advice? I have quite a few cameras but am not sure if one of the ones I have will do what I need or if I should buy a new one.

I have a small Sony Cybershot 7.2 MP in blue, I think it's a W120, but not exactly sure. It is one of the ones that was available in pink, silver, etc.

I also have a Canon S3.

I find that I am not getting very sharp pictures with the Sony, maybe it is just me and I am worried that the Canon is too big to drag around.

Any suggestions on a small camera to take some nice vacation photos? I want to capture the bright colors and sharp images of Hawaii. Should I stick with what I have or get something new?

Thanks.
mandyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:06 AM   #2

If it is the Sony W120 that you have, I'm surprised that you're having problems with the picture quality, as the two reviews I've read, one of which was by Steve, indicated that the picture quality was a strong point:

Quote:
Image quality was also pleasing. Outdoors, the W120 captured sharp images with bright colors and good exposure. Noise levels are very well controlled for a consumer model.

Since you have the Canon S3 which you presumably like, you could always buy another Canon. All the cameras in the ultracompact SD series have very good picture quality.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:07 AM   #3

I need to figure out which I have... I know it's 7MP and blue.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:54 AM   #4

It was actually a W55
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:04 PM   #5

mandyfin wrote:
Quote:
It was actually a W55
That's also considered to have good picture quality.

Perhaps you had a bad camera or you just don't like the way Sony takes pictures. In any case, I find it hard to believe you wouldn't be happy with one of the smaller Canons. There's a new, small Canon, the A470, which is very cheap and has been getting excellent reviews. There are, of course, many more, all of which are good.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:09 PM   #6

Mandy-

If small is the requirement with excellent colors take a look at the Sony H-3 or the Canon SX-100. Both will provide a 10X optical zoom, 8mp, and excellent color reproduction, all at some very afordable prices.

I had the W-55 and did not like it for the very same reasons. I returned it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 1:06 PM   #7

Thanks to both of you. I think the H3 and Sx100 are a bit too bulky, I want something small to fit in my bag... that's why I am not taking my S3. There are so many to choose from!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 3:45 PM   #8

Mandy-

Thanks for the reply. If size is an issue, then take a look at the Sony W-120 which has IS and much better features than the Sony W-55. It is also well priced at below $(US) 200.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:17 PM   #9

If I were going to HI, had a S3 and was comfortable with it's results I'd take it. I have a Z612 and while the S3 is a little larger I certainly wouldn't consider my Z612 to large (and I'd take my Z612.)
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 4:35 PM   #10

mandyfin,

I agree with ac. smith, save your $$$ for HI and take your S3, including the Users Manual. Take some time to reacquaint yourself with all the fine things the camera is capable of doing when you are in control.

Also, I recommend you (and all the rest of us) should read and reread this very interesting article. I know I need to read it again, now that I've just purchased a new Canon G9 to replace my A620.

http://www.kenrockwell.com:80/tech/notcamera.htm

Enjoy your trip, and learn some new and exciting ways of taking pictures with your "old" camera.

[Edit] I think this article by Ken Rockwell is also very important for your HI trip;
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/timing.htm

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote