Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:04 PM   #11

You tell us, Moose-

Where do we go from here?? A wild card suggestion: take a look at the Canon SX-100 8mp 10X optical zoom and and all around great family camera,priced ataround $(US) 200 to 225.00.

You are probably looking for a lot more considering your interest in the Canon G-9. How much zoom do you really desire? Thus far, I have not been blown away by the Fuji S-8000, personally. I like my Canon S-5 a whole lot better. And my Canon 20D even better. I have attached a sample SX-100 photo taken at ISO 800. It is a pretty amazing camera.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:27 PM   #12

I am certainly looking for a camera with a lot manual/user selectable features. As far as zoom goes, I can't really say as I have never had a camera with more than the standard 3-5x optical. But there have been several times where I have said it would be nice to have a lot more when shooting @ the Zoo or in the woods shooting birds etc..
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:45 PM   #13

Zoom is great for those wildlife shots, but try to get one with a decent wide angle too, if possible for landscapes and those 'just can't take one more step backward' situations.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:53 PM   #14

In the around $(US) 200 to 225.00 range, I honestly do not think you can not be seriously asking for a wide anngle lens, Rinnie. I am happy to do some panos that are very easy to do with the Canon SX-100 to give the wide angle effect.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:58 PM   #15

sarah,

You prefer the s-700 over the sp-550. May I ask why? I am seriously considering each. I really like the S-700, but, it does not have stabilization. I would think that stab would come in very handy at 10X. The olympus does have it along with 18X optical.

pete
pete9686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:44 PM   #16

"In the around $(US) 200 to 225.00 range, I honestly do not think you can be seriously asking for a wide anngle lens, Rinnie."

Not quite sure where you came up with that $200-225 range, since the OP has yet to state a price restriction in this thread. And yes, I am recommending the OP consider the advantages of wide angle. I think a problem with many of the megazoom cameras is that they sacrifice a very useful 28mm bottom end. I find the 28mm very useful in my S6000. And thanks, but I'm not really interested in panos.

the Hun

Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:24 PM   #17

Rinnie-

I guess I am coming from a somewhat different position. You probably already know it, but....

If you would go to the Fuji Folder, you would find that we have been posting Fuji S-700 photos since mid summer 2007. Have you missed that fact? I think you have missed it. Though I might be wrong. Perhaps you will be kind enough to take something more than a mere glance at those Fuji S-700 photos. They are darned good.

The Fuji S-700, with 10X of optical zoom, is now selling for around $(US) 150.00. That makes it something of a real bargain. No, it does not have IS. But, please just take a goodlook at the posted photos and I believe that you might be surprised!

If you might be wondering a whole lot?? Yes, I am a big champion of those cameras that get seem to get lost in the shuffle of the "big name"cameras that have all the glitz and pizzaz.

I am a big champion of both the Fuji S-700 and the Canon SX-100 cameras. They o how got lost in the "camera shuffle." Neither was a stand-out camera that rang bells and whistles, big time. But both were very solid, family cameras, that were/are a real bargain cameras that are a lot of fun. How do I know? Well, I have been a professional digital camera instructor since 1996. I train for Kodak, Canon and Nikon. But the bottomline is simply this: I think cameras should be profecient, fun, and something of a bargain. Every once in awhile those cameras turn up. The Fuji S-700 and the Canon SX-100 are those kind of cameras.

So if you want a lot of camera fun at a low/bargain price, follow the thread.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:10 PM   #18

"If you would go to the Fuji Folder, you would find that we have been posting Fuji S-700 photos since mid summer 2007. Have you missed that fact? I think you have missed it."

Sarah - READ THIS THREAD. I don't care about the S700 thread.

The OP is considering buying either the S8100 or the SP 570, which are 18-20x zooms, with a wide angle starting point (27/26mm) - have you missed that fact? These cameras are in the $400-$475 range. I merely suggested the OP consider the S100fs, which adds a lot of features and possibly better resolution and low light performance (pending testing).

You trash the S100fs, which you haven't used or seen a professional review of (because there aren't any), and start recommending 10x zoom cameras with a 36 and 38mm bottom end, because...they're cheap? A bargain? Is that what the OP wants? It's not what I want.

" So if you want a lot of camera fun at a low/bargain price, follow the thread."

I don't want a bargain camera. I have no intention of buying an S700 or an SX-100. I have no intentions of following the S700 thread.

Do you understand?

the Hun

Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:58 AM   #19

TheMoose wrote:
Quote:
I have been shopping around for a new camera for sometime now. I was originally looking at the Nikon p5100 and the Canon G9. I liked the canon better as I have owned many Canons in the past so I was familiar with the menus etc. The problem I had with it was that it felt like a huge brick and was uncomfortable and hard to hold onto.

I have now shifted my attention to the Fuji s8100fd and the Oly sp 570. I am really liking both, maybe favoring the Oly but the xd card setup is a joke. The Oly was very easy to navigate thru menus and functions as the Fuji was a little more button intensive. Both take AA's which is a plus as I have dozens of them around the house, other than that I am really torn at which to buy. Since these are fairly new on the street I have not been able to find much for reviews etc so any help would be greatly appreciated!
What about the Panasonic FZ18 or Canon S5? They seem to have the best picture quality of the ultra-zooms.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:21 AM   #20

I apologize to all, I confused several threads and dumbly mixed them together in my post. The OP is looking for a camera, as Andy has just posted,along the lines of the Canon S-5 or the Panasonic FZ-18.

Sarah Joyce