Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:12 PM   #21

I have also looked at both the FZ18 and the Canon S5, they are nice also. But the s8100 and the sp 570 have most of my attention right now. I went and played with both at the store today. I disliked the zoom ring on the 570, but now find it better than a rocker style switch for zooming. Even though it may seem jerky, it's easier to pull in what you want to shoot. I was also still confused by the Fuji menus, whereas I remembered most everything in the 570, it's hands down easier to navigate and change settings.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 9:36 PM   #22

Moose-

I think that it is more than obvious that you are the most comfortable with the Olympus SP-570. If you just look at the posted photos (www.pbase.com) they are pretty impressive. So why not just go for it.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 1:05 PM   #23

I am not seeing any photos taken from a 570 on pbase.com
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:54 PM   #24

Moose-

The camera is still very new, so it will take awhile to see them posted on pbase.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:54 PM   #25

TheMoose wrote:
Quote:
I am not seeing any photos taken from a 570 on pbase.com
Look at the photos of the SP560 on Flickr. The picture quality should be simlar.
[img]file:///C:/Users/MARYEL%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/img]
[img]file:///C:/Users/MARYEL%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=olympus+sp560&m=text
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 5:44 PM   #26

I don't know Andy...different lens...different sensor. I'm not so sure I'd plunk down $500 on a camera based on the picture quality of last year's model. Nor would I base my purchase decision on pictures posted on PBase. If I had, I never would have bought my current camera - the pics on PBase taken with my camera model are horrible!

If I was a looking to buy an SP -560, I'd pass after looking at the pics on PBase. Maybe it's because they were all Fall and Winter pics, and the backgrounds were rather drab, but they just didn't seem to have much pop. On the other hand, after looking at the SP-560 pics on FlickR, I'd buy two of them! (LOL)...but those aren't SP-570 pics...

One would hope that Olympus would strive to constantly improve IQ, but when a manufacturer starts adding more MP to the same size sensor, and adds a lens with a larger zoom range, bad things can happen. I would recommend patience.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:46 PM   #27

Ibelieve it was The Moose who stated earlier in the week that the Fuji S-8000 had the best dynamic range. Well, after the rain, when the sun came out, I had my Fuji S-8000 in hand and was out on the back deck.

Moose, I think you are correct! Here is a picture of the South Cove from our deck and you will notice, sports fans, that there is no clipping of highlights at all. It is rather amazing. And I must add, that I have begun to view the Fuji S-8000 in a much different light, after this simple test. Moose honestly this is

Please tell me what you think?? Moose, these are reallly very impressive results. Before you head irrevocably for the Oly SP-570, you might want to take a good look , or a second look at the Fuji S-8000nat 18X optical zoom. It is really pretty amazing.

Sarah Joyce