Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 28, 2008, 5:24 PM   #1

I have been shopping around for a new camera for sometime now. I was originally looking at the Nikon p5100 and the Canon G9. I liked the canon better as I have owned many Canons in the past so I was familiar with the menus etc. The problem I had with it was that it felt like a huge brick and was uncomfortable and hard to hold onto.

I have now shifted my attention to the Fuji s8100fd and the Oly sp 570. I am really liking both, maybe favoring the Oly but the xd card setup is a joke. The Oly was very easy to navigate thru menus and functions as the Fuji was a little more button intensive. Both take AA's which is a plus as I have dozens of them around the house, other than that I am really torn at which to buy. Since these are fairly new on the street I have not been able to find much for reviews etc so any help would be greatly appreciated!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2008, 5:35 PM   #2

"...but the xd card setup is a joke. "

What does that mean?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 5:42 PM   #3

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
"...but the xd card setup is a joke. "

What does that mean?

the Hun
Meaning that it's proprietary, not too common = harder to find +more expensive. It would be nice if it would take sd cards also.....
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:08 PM   #4

"Meaning that it's proprietary, not too common = harder to find +more expensive."

Proprietary yes...more expensive, a little...hard to find? Stop. I have yet to enter a store that sells cameras and or camera accessories that didn't sell xD cards. Maybe if you live on another planet... And if you do, every major online camera vendor that I am aware of sells xD.

I know quite a few people who opted to buy a camera simply because it used the "cheaper" SD cards. Then, they proceeded to go out and buy a super-duper turbocharged high speed quatro drive mega capacity top end shot from a cannon Ansel Adams autograph model SD card (which benefits their cheap camera couldn't begin to appreciate), and wound up paying 3 times the amount they would have paid for an xD card...and now do nothing but complain about the poor image quality they are experiencing from their camera (and not due to the SD format).

Buy the camera that does what you want it to do, not the camera that uses a certain type of memory card. That goes for proprietary batteries too.

the Hun

Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:35 PM   #5

Didn't mean to sound like I was slamming the xd format. I would just rather be able to use a more universal format is all. The cost is not really a factor, just a nuisance. Does anyone have any first hand experience with any of these cameras?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:03 PM   #6

Moose-

Please keep in mind that the Fuji S-8100 is actually larger than the Canon G-9 and it is NOT one of Fuji's high ISO capable CCD's. The S-8100, like the S-8000 share genes from the Fuji S-700. The Olympus SP-570, like the 550 and 560 have not had great reviews.

I own the S-8000, the S-700 and the Oly SP-550. None are really knock your socks off cameras. The S-700 is the best of the lot, and it is now selling for around $(US) 150.00.

If you want more zoom than the 6X available on the G-9, you might want to take a look at the G-9 reviews. The G-9 can produce 9.5X optical zoom when it is down rated to 5mp. If not, there is the Canon S-5 which is much better than the Fuji S-8100. IMHO, I would review my camera options once more. Think about size and tell us more about what you are looking for in size.

Here is a photo of my anon G-7 (the same size as the G-9) next to the Fuji S-8000.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:10 PM   #7

Moose,

Hang on until some reviews come out on the new Fuji S100fs before you decide...it sounds very promising...larger sensor (2/3"), 11.1 MP, 28-400mm zoom (14.3x), hot shoe, IS, manual zoom and focus ring, 1 cm macro, film simulation mode, extended dynamic range...and...you ready for this? It takes both xD AND SD cards!

Think about it.

the Hun

Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:19 PM   #8

Rinnie-

I too was interested in the S-100fs, but the sample photos that I have sen thus far are disappointing.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:37 PM   #9

Sarah,

I've seen some excellent low light pics taken with the S100fs, and I've seen some pretty horrible stuff, too. You can't really say how a camera will perform for you based on what it does for John Q Public. I've seen some really ugly pics posted that were taken with a DSLR. Certainly doesn't mean that DSLR's are bad...any camera can take bad pics if the photographer is clueless.

I'll wait until I see a couple of professional reviews posted on some reliable sites, then I'll go down to my local camera shop and play. I'll let you know what I think.

the Hun

Old Mar 28, 2008, 7:45 PM   #10

I am not restricted to any size (within reason) Something along the lines of the s8100 and the 570 seem to be a nice size and fit for me. I am by no means a professional, so I am not expecting to get a silk purse from a pigs ear. I am just looking for a decent camera. The sp 550/560 certainly get their knocks but they also get just as much praise.

I don't shoot much action or low light, macros, wildlife, nature and spur of the moment shots are my most common. I was eyeballing the s8100 again today and was told it had the best dynamic range and best sensorout of all the cameras I was looking at. I think the s100fs may be a bit steep for me at this point so it may have to scratched from the list