Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:29 PM   #11

Thanks. I am reading up on the manul and to be honest the terminology is intimidating. There are so many different things to do to your photos. If I have any questions I will definately come here. You all have been such great help.
roni624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:15 PM   #12

Pete-

While the Fuji S-700 is cheap and takes good photos, BUT it does not have IS. That is why the Canon SX-100 is a much better choice.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:41 PM   #13

Not sure if IS is all that important in this case. He wants to take fairly close up pics, without a whole lotta zoom and he is using a light tent. I would think that means fairly high shutter speeds.

Not trying to pooh-pooh IS at all, but, for his needs it might be unneccessary.

That being said, I really really like the SX-100. If it had a viewfinder I might have bought one.
pete9686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:56 PM   #14

Pete-

I will disagree whole heartedly with you on that one. Roni really does need IS, and it is very important when using his light tent operation. In fact, you too could quite nicely benefit from IS as well.

How do I know that you might ask? Well, I have been a professional digital camera for the last 12 years. I am a certified instructor for Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Kodak cameras.

Now I will offer something of a challenge to you, Pete, and to Roni, too and any one else who wants to join into the fun. I will start a Canon SX-100 Gallery and Workshop, where I will volunteer to answer all of your questions and to provide a tutorialon shooting withthe Canon SX-100 from tomorrow (April 1st) through April 21st.

Why does it begin tomorrow? Because that is when my Canon SX-100 will arrive. So Pete, Roni and anyone else who want to take part, look in the Canon digicam folder for the Canon SX-100 Gallery and Tutorial. am willing to give you one on one if you are willing to participate.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:40 PM   #15

Hey, this is great - perhaps, as part of the SX-100 gallery and workshop, you could mount the camera on a tripod and take two shots of an object in a lightbox...one with IS 'on' and one with IS 'off'. I'd really like to know if there would be a difference. I think Pete and Roni would too.

I bet the IS 'on' shot will not look any better...any takers?

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:22 PM   #16

Rinnie-

I will attempt (wish me luck) a whole gamut of things and techniques. just hope and pray that Amazon delivers my Canon SX-100 on time tomorow!

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 31, 2008, 8:30 AM   #17

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Hey, this is great - perhaps, as part of the SX-100 gallery and workshop, you could mount the camera on a tripod and take two shots of an object in a lightbox...one with IS 'on' and one with IS 'off'. I'd really like to know if there would be a difference. I think Pete and Roni would too.

I bet the IS 'on' shot will not look any better...any takers?

the Hun

What he said. IS is absolutely wonderful...when you need it.

pete9686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:37 AM   #18

Pete-

Anytime you are shooting at low shutter speeds, IS is a bonus to have on your camera.

Ronnie-

You just purchased a Canon SX-100, I hope you will join us.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:00 PM   #19

Oh yes, Sarah! I would love to take the tutorial as I know nothing about my camera other than turning it on and be able to zoom and take a picture.

BTW...I am a female.
roni624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:21 PM   #20

Thanks, Roni-

We are glad to have you on board. You will find the tutorial in the Canon Folder.

Sarah Joyce