Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:20 AM   #1

I am looking for a new digital camera. I don't want to spend over $300 on one.

I want my pictures to be:

-clear and focused

-able to zoom in and be able to have the pictures come out clear once I order prints.

-able to enlarge to at least a 5X7 and have the picture to still be detailed and not fuzzy.

I am starting a website selling my products and I want my pictures to look good.

Any suggestions?

I saw a Sony Cybershot today that was an 8 megapixel and 10x zoom. Is that good?
roni624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:54 AM   #2

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but there really are hundreds of different cameras that meet your criteria.

You have to be more specific.

First of all, what size camera are you interested in - ultracompact, compact, smaller full sized camera, large full sized camera?

Are you interested in a DSLR?

How much are you willing to spend?

Do you want a camera with long optical zoom (more than the standard 3x optical zoom)?

Do you want a camera with an optical or EVF viewfinder in addition to an LCD?

You say you saw a Sony with 10x optical zoom. Was it the H3? If so, it's a good camera but it may not be the right one for you.

I suggest you do some research on digital cameras. You can start by reading the information on this website. Take a look at Steve's best cameras list. At that point, if you still have questions, come back to this forum and we'll be better able to help you.

Edit - Sorry, I missed your $300 spending limit. There are still scores of cameras that are in the running. We need some more guidance.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:23 AM   #3

I am sorry but I am not a profesional when it comes to cameras. I don't want to spend over $300 on one.

I am taking a lot of indoor/outdoor pics of people and animals. I also am starting a website business and I would like for my product to look detailed.

I do not know camera lingo or anything like that, as you do, but I do appreciate any help.

I have done a lot of research and to be honest it ends up leaving me confused.

Is it better to have a higher megapixel or higher optical zoom or do I need both? I do like to crop my photos so that the object can look larger.

Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Administrator

roni624 wrote:
Quote:
Is it better to have a higher megapixel or higher optical zoom or do I need both? I do like to crop my photos so that the object can look larger.
Optical.

If you crop a photo to make it look like you used a focal length twice as long (for example, 200mm versus 100mm), you end up with only 1/4 the original resolution in pixels (not just half the original resolution).

So, you'd have 4 times as many pixels representing your subject using a 200mm focal length to fill the frame with your subject, versus using a 100mm lens and cropping so that your subject fills the frame.

Since you mentioned selling products, a long zoom may not make any difference though, depending on the closest focus distance you can use at a given zoom setting with the camera you get. All else being equal, it's usually better to have a longer focal length (more optical zoom) for closeups, shooting from a bit further away (to keep from casting shadows and interfering with your lighting arrangement). IOW, shoot from a bit further away using a 100mm equivalent zoom setting, versus shooting from closer using a 50mm zoom setting for a smaller subject. You usually have less distortion with most zoom lenses if you zoom in at bit from their widest setting, too.

But, you have to look at each camera on a case by case basis for things like minimum focus distance at a given zoom setting.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:31 AM   #5

Roni,

It doesn't sound to me that you need a very long optical zoom.

However, if you're selling products, you probably want a camera that takes good pictures indoors and has the capability to take sharp macros (super closeups). You probably also want image stabilization.

I suggest the Canon A570IS if you can still find it, or its successor, the A590IS. I own the A570IS and I find it to be very good in all respects. It also has the capabilities I mentioned above (as does the A590IS).
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:01 PM   #6

You did not indicate how large your products are, but you may be interested in some techniques to make them look better in the photos you take. Here are some links about light tents;

http://digital-photography-school.co...ve-light-tent/

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Photography-P...QQcmdZViewItem

http://search.reviews.ebay.com/light-tent

Looks like you need to learn a little more than just purchasing a camera for your plan to succeed.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:20 PM   #7

I already have a light tent. It is an EZ Cube. The products are hairbows and chidren's accessories. I have an old Kodak with like 3mp. It is old and now I want to buy something better.

Obviously my pictures are going to look dull using this camera even with the light tent. I have been having problems with this camera for some time now. Like I said it is old.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 4:22 PM   #8

After coming here and other websites I ended up with the Canon Power Shot SX100 IS.

Now I need to read up on how to use effectively. Thanks for the help. It was well appreciated.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 4:26 PM   #9

roni,

You certainly don't need a super duper mega zoom lense. Nor do you need a bazillion mega pixels.

I am a very long way from being an expert, but, I've been reading stuff here recently from some pretty knowledgable folks. I am sure you will get plenty of good suggestions.

From my limited knowledge, I would guess that 7 or 8 meg is plenty. 6X optical is probably also plenty. maybe even a bit of overkill.

Large zoom lenses give you the ability to take good pics of stuff a long distance away. You need exactly the opposite. As with any device, something that is good at do something at one end of the spectrum is going to be lacking at the other end.

Look for cameras that are good at macro pictures. I think that's what smart folks call close ups. You may also want a camera that can save pics as raw data or tiff files. Regular point and shoot type cameras that you take to disney world need to hold lots of shots. This means the data is compressed. Compressed data is tougher to screw around with in photoshop. And from what i've gathered here, you can really work magic with pictures after you've loaded them to your computer.

Since you will not need a really fancy zoom lense, you might even look at a DSLR with a good 50mm lense. You might even find one in your price range if you don't mind taking your chanceswith used stuff.

If you want to use it for other stuff as well, a good point and shoot would probably be better. I have heard good things about the canon sx-100 and fuji s-700 as well as others.

Good luck and wait for someone more knowledgeable thanme to chime in.

Pete

pete9686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2008, 8:41 PM   #10

roni624 wrote:
Quote:
After coming here and other websites I ended up with the Canon Power Shot SX100 IS.

Now I need to read up on how to use effectively. Thanks for the help. It was well appreciated.
Good decision. It should meet your needs very well. Be sure to read up on how to use the manual controls. They will come in very handy when shooting indoors and you find you can't get the right effect when using the flash.