Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:38 AM   #1

I've got a Fuji F30. My brother has a Canon S3 that seems really nice, and I'm thinking of getting an S5 or something similar. I don't really want an actual pro SLR, though.

One thing that irritates me about most cameras I've played with is that they only have 2-sec and 10-sec self-timer modes. Every time I'm taking a lot of pictures, I always end up wanting a group portrait with myself in it. The Canons have the flip-out screen so you can compose the shot from the front, and they have the custom timer mode so you have enough time.

But does anything have a self-timer mode that will take multiple shots? Every camera seems to have continuous shooting and multi-shot burst modes, but it never seems to be available when you use the self-timer. That sure would be nice to have the camera take three shots in a row when you used the timer. It really sucks having to tell everybody to stay still then go look at the camera and try to zoom in on the shot you just took to make sure nobody blinked at the wrong time then go set the timer again.

I'm starting to think it would be better to just set my camera to continuous shooting and tape the shutter button down. That would be pretty hard on the batteries, though.

A wireless control would also be pretty nice. Are there any cameras with a remote control for the shutter except some of the pro SLRs?

Thanks!

edit:

I just noticed the Panasonic FZ18 has a 3-shot mode with the self-timer. It still doesn't look like it'll let you set more than 10 sec delay, but that's pretty cool. And the 28-504mm zoom is huge, and a 16:9 movie mode seems nice.

Tostada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2008, 9:12 AM   #2

The S5, and many other Canon models, have the 2 and 10 second timer, but there is also the Custom timer setting. In Custom you can set delays of1 to 10 seconds, or 15, 20, and 30 second delays, and have the camera take from 1 to 10 pictures when it is fired.

And, since the S5 is one of the Powershot models that still has remote control built in, you can use this software to take time lapse photography;

http://www.breezesys.com/PSRemote/features.htm#ps

hope this helps,

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:12 PM   #3

That software looks nice. It doesn't specifically say whether or not it can do multi-shot hands-free stuff, though. I'm trying to think if it'd be worth the hassle of carrying around a laptop for it.

The swing-out LCD on the Canons is nice, but I can frame a shot well enough on a tripod without being in it. The custom self-timer delay is nice, but I can get into a shot in 10 seconds. The annoying thing I run into is not being able to take multiple shots on the timer and having to check to see if someone blinked.

Tostada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 9:13 AM   #4

It seems like the Custom timer function would allow you to take multiple shots after you jump into the group for the shoot. You also can watch the camera flashing it's lights prior to the shot as a count down device to prepare everyone prior to each shot.

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 3:53 AM   #5

The good old G6 has a remote control unit. It has a wireless timer delay so nothing happens when you press the remote button until after the settable delay has finished..... either 2 seconds or 10 seconds. The delay can be disabled too if you set 0 seconds. A 2 second wireless delay is pretty good. Then after that, if you add a self-timer delay of 2 seconds, then that gives about 4 seconds altogether to do something, such as to hide the remote control unit in your pocket or behind your back etc.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote