Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:56 PM   #1

Hello everyone.

I am trying to find a digital camera that take pictures using an interval timer. It would be nice if the interval could be adjusted from 1 min. up to 10 min. or even an hour. It should be able to take 500+ pics. I know that the GoPro Hero 3 sports cam can take up to 1,400 pics at 5 second intervals(approx. 1 1/2+hours total time), but the quality is barely acceptable at 3 mp. Is there anything on the market that can compete with GoPro for this feature?

Thanks
D1D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:39 AM   #2

Canon Powershots with remote capture feature can work with software like PSRemote to do time lapse, etc.

http://www.breezesys.com/PSRemote/index.htm

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:54 AM   #3

You have a number of choices, depending on the $$$ you wish to spend.Canon EOScameras that take the Canon TC80N3 Timer Remote Control(such as the 20D, 30D, etc. etc.) will provide you a count of exposures from 1-99 or an infinite number of exposures (if set to "00"). Intervals are set anywhere from 1 second to 100 hours (99.59.59). Works great and I use mine often. No software required.

Or you can use a laptop and the Canon-supplied software that comes with EOS cameras. Or, as mentioned by Dennis, Breeze Systems Remote Pro (which is better than the Canon-supplied software IMHO).

Additionally, with the EOS cameras (40D, etc.) I guarantee you will get far, far better than 3mp photos and have a wide selection of lenses to boot!

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:18 AM   #4

If you want an affordable point & shoot camera with decent photo quality, with the interval timer function, you should look into the Nikon cameras.

The older S4 and S10 models (with rotating body/ lens similar to the famous 900 series) definitely have interval timer function.

Many of the more recent and expensive P series models also have interval timer function.

You can look up the newest models on the Nikon website:

http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/...ra/index.page?

or Google "Nikon interval timer" (yes it'll give you many DSLR threads but also some examples of the S and P series cameras).

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:07 PM   #5

I searched on the Nikon website, and it appears their Timelapse feature is part of the Movie mode, and only creates 640x480 quality images. If that is good enough for you, then those Nikon models and some Canon models will also provide that capability.

Using the remote capture feature of Canon with the PSRemote software will give you full resolution pictures for your time lapse photography. This is the only option with P&S cameras I have found to provide full resolution images.

[Edit] You might want to visit this thread from another forum on using the G9 (or any Canon Powershot with the remote capture feature), tethered to a laptop to take multiple shots over a long period of time. (dialup warning, lots of pics)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=27399950

Dennis
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:48 PM   #6

Quote:
it appears their Timelapse feature is part of the Movie mode
Dennis you have mistaken the "time lapse" mode for video with "interval timer" in the shooting mode (together with "single", "continuous" etc.)

This feature is not well published in the standard features list by Nikon.

Take two examples: the interval timer is a feature listed by Steve's here eg. for P5000:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/p5000.html
("Intro and physical view" -> read "Coolpix P5000 features")

In Steve's review of the older model P4, the interval timer was not listed as a feature on the "Intro and physical view" page. However, when you go to the "Record modes and screens" page, to the "Program AE/ aperture mode menu", you'll see "interval timer" listed under "Continuous":

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/p4_pg3.html

In fact, if you actually read the user manuals of various models, you can see that most S and P models, old and new, do have this interval timer function:

(1) On the Nikon USA website eg. P5000

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...X%20P5000.html
(click "Product manual" link to download a PDF version of the manual, then use "Search" function in Adobe Acrobat with keywords "interval timer")

(2) For older models:

http://www.manualnguide.com/brand/nikon/

A more thorough research always makes you better informed!

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 4:21 PM   #7

[blindsight said;]

"Dennis you have mistaken the "time lapse" mode for video with "interval timer" in the shooting mode (together with "single", "continuous" etc.)

This feature is not well published in the standard features list by Nikon."

You are very correct when you say it is not well published, in fact it is not even mentioned under the Tech Specs listed for the P5000 on their website. Only the Time Lapse capability is listed under the Movie Modes, and Self Timer of 3 or 10 seconds.

"In fact, if you actually read the user manuals of various models, you can see that most S and P models, old and new, do have this interval timer function:

On the Nikon USA website eg. P5000

(click "Product manual" link to download a PDF version of the manual, then use "Search" function in Adobe Acrobat with keywords "interval timer")"

It is good that manufacturers provide downloadable/searchable PDFs for their products, but it certainly makes it a challenge for folks to figure out what a camera can do, especially if they still use a dialup service, and are faced with large downloads with slow speeds. I have broadband, but I have several friends who still cannot get broadband in their area. You would think Nikon and others would more easily display capabilities, rather than hide them. I've seen several others asking about intervalometers on several forums, and no one seems to know which cameras have them. Why don't the companies publicize this more?

"A more thorough research always makes you better informed!"

Yes it does.

Dennis
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Default time lapse

Hey D1

If you search amazon for intervalometer there are a scad of them from 17.99 to 100.00 most of them are made to fit nikon ,canon, Sony A . If you want a way to do it with little worry about equipment loss I suggest a used Sony A 100 with a used minolta lens and the low priced intervalometer then if you wish you can leave it for extended periods and if someone finds and relieves you of it you are not out a fortune!!!
daveaphotodude is offline   Reply With Quote