Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:24 AM   #11

Thanks, Robbo-

That is good news about E-Bay. And Yes, I like a viewfinder too. But we are seeing more and more cameras put into production without viewfinders. Because I am seeing more and more of them in my classes, I decided I had to bite the bullet and get used to them too.

Why the Canon SX-100, you might ask? Because it has reeived excellent reviews and it is a typical family camera that can do a lot. It actually is a good value for the $$. Yes, by the summer of 2009, it will probably be around $(US) 150.00.

No, I am sorry, but I am not going to do a tutorial on the A-2. I think more people could benefit with some help on what appears to be a faily popular camera.

Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:27 PM   #12

You guys are wearing me down here!!!

Maybe I'll just hold off a bit. If the SX-100 does indeed get that cheap it would be a great camera as it fit's the wife's requirement for size and she could give a dang abouta viewfinder.

Maybe I'll start prowling ebay for a low miles one. Gotta be some folks out there that get rid of their's for the lack of a you know what.
pete9686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:36 PM   #13

I am also thinking along the same line as you, pete9686 - I always have high praise on the Canon A4XX series for the budget-oriented, because (1) it has Canon quality (2) it is compact (3) it uses AA batteries (4) it has 4X optical zoom (a little longer on the tele side), rare in the lower price range (5) it has an optical viewfinder.

Problem is: probably because of their good value and quality, all the oldest models like A410 and A430 are sold out. Now that the newest A470 model is out, last year's A460 model is still current, and the price remains above $100. You may watch out for bargains on this A460 though, but I doubt if the price is going to go below $80. This should be a good investment though.

Another modestly priced name brand is the Kodak cameras. They also use AA batteries and have an optical viewfinder. However, I find that the construction quality is not up to par (even comparing with non-name brands like Aiptek), the pictures are soft, and power consumption is high - I do have a "recent old model", low-end Kodak C series as an emergency camera in the car (in case there is an accident that requires proof - ever since my unpleasant encounter with a hit-and-run-right-in-my-face!).

RE: buying on eBay - I would probably not buy a used camera on eBay because you don't know the condition of the camera until you pay for it to be shipped to you. You'll at least lose out on shipping charges (which is usually proportionately high for a low-priced item) if something goes wrong. If you buy used, I would browse the local ads and insist on seeing the camera. Do the search on the internet with craigslist.com (freebie ads site), or old-school usernet (= internet newsgroups, if your internet service provider still provides it) - most people won't waste money posting ads in newspaper for small ticket items nowadays!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:39 PM   #14

I honestly believe that "blindsight" has hit the target dead on!

The biggest value cameras are Canon's A4XX series, followed by some selected Kodak models. often times you will find Office Depot, Costcoand similiar stores dicounting them heavily.

If you want 12X with IS take a look at the Kodak Z-612 at around $110. The Canon A-470 is just $109, all with a full 1 year guarantee. Pete, perhaps that will make your eye re-focus a bit. Just take a look at www.pricegrabber.com!

Have a great weekend!

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:08 PM   #15

Thanks again for the recommendations. I am looking at the canon AXXXs and others.

My A2 arrived and I am extremely pleased with it. It has a transferrable warantee from mack camera that is good till june '10. So, I have better than most new camera coverage.

Now, if I can just figure out what all 97 buttons do, I should like it even better.

Gong to Disney world next week. I'll try and post some pictures when I get back.

Pete
pete9686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:31 PM   #16

Posted in error. I apologize!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:36 PM   #17

___:G___
brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote