Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:26 AM   #1

Well, now that I've found the boat anchor errrrrr I mean camera that I want (A2), I am certain that my wife will not want to drag it around disneyworld in a few weeks.

I took a look at what perfectly good cheap P&S pocket cameras are going for. And they are darn near giving them away! I have seen cameras that sold for more than $300 new not all that long ago, go for under $50 including shipping.

No they don't use raw images or have all the fancy stuff that you real photographers are looking for, which, I hope learn about with the A2, but, they are perfectly adequate for 5x7 scrapbook photos of the kids hugging a giant rat.

What I am looking for is 3+ meg, 3X or betteroptical, pocket size, durable and easy on batteries.

I probably would get my best deal on an older one that uses smartmedia as they don't have as much capacity. But, I already have a 128 or 256 card sitting around that my now deceased C720 doesn't need anymore.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, especially ones that say which ones I should steer clear of.

Pete

pete9686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:25 PM   #2

Pete-

The Canon SX-100 or the Sony H-3 are both small (though not the size of your jeans pocket) high value, family cameras that offer a lot. The Sony H-3 even has a much greater flash range than the Canon SX-100, the H-3 takes god flash photos up to 23 feet.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:34 PM   #3

Go to Steve's Best Camera List: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html. Thetwo catagories that will probably contain what you're looking for would be Entry Level and Ulta-compact although you might also want to check the Compact catagory for comparison.

Read the reviews of all tha cameras there and then see what's available in your market.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 1:02 PM   #4

sarah,

If I can find an SX-100 for 50 bucks, I'll be all over it.

a.c.,

thanks, I'll check it out.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:58 PM   #5

Pete-

I sincerely think that you want some excellent vacation photos. A $(US) 50.00 is not going to give you those kind ofphotos. This is your family and this is your vacation, Pete! It is probably time to loosen up that very tight wallet a bit.

Looking at Steve's Best Camera List, the least expensive of the camera's listed there is probably the Canon A-470 which has received an excellent review from Steve. It is seling for $(US) 112.00 at www.buydig.com with FREE SHIPPING.

This is your chance, Pete, to get a quality camera for a litle over $(US) 100.00. BuyDig by the way is a very reputable internet retailer. I have purchased many cameras from them myself.

Sarah Joyce

Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:16 PM   #6

I would like nice pictures. And trust me, my poor wallet gets pried open plenty from all directions.

Have you looked at what some of these things are going for on ebay? Yeah, 100 bucks ain't that much more and you do get the piece of mind that comes with buying new, but, as I have said before, I am a big fan of buying used, particularly if it's something just a few months old that might have been used once or twice.

I found a Lumix DMC LS-70, mentioned on steve's list that wentfor just $53 including shipping. You can also find some models that are virtually identical to the latest models other than giving up a few mega pixels. And from what I have read, in the lower price ranges anyway, having a few less pixels might actually be a good thing.

Maybe I'll find something. Maybe I'll even pry that wallet a little further openand get one of the new one. Maybe I'll just get used to dragging the A2 everywhere. We'll see.

Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:34 PM   #7

Pete-

Now, my friend, let's be serious. There is a tremendous amount of pure unadulaterated junk being ofered on www.ebay.com. And yes, I am speaking about worthless junk, and cameras that really do not matter at all. Just in case you are attempting to rationalize those "e-bay bargains, please think twice, or three, maybe even four times. You have to real scrutinize the items that are being offered.

Now it is time for the key or ultimate question, Pete! Are you, Pete, the penny saving master of the world, going to take part in the up coming (as of tomorrow 01 April) Canon SX-100 Gallery and Tutorial?

If you chose not to do so, I will respect that. However, you will miss out big time! The choice is yours!

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:34 PM   #8

'Sorry, double post!
Old Mar 31, 2008, 9:25 AM   #9

Sarah,

Concerning ebay, I am well aware that there is plenty of junk there. There is also something there called feedback. If you are peddling junk there, your feedback tends to reflect this.

I realize that buying stuff there is a bit of a crapshot. It all comes down to what sort of risk are you willing to take. If I can get a 50% or better discount on something that might very well be indistinguishable from new, I may be willing to do it. Ofcourse buying new doesn't eliminate the risk either. I have bought new things, used them for awhile, came to the conclusion that they were crap, but, so what. The warrantee isn't worth the paper it's written on in this case. It doesn't say we guarantee it's not crap. It just says it guarantees it is functional crap.

On to the SX-100, which you seem to be the world's biggest fan of. I like it. And I am sure it is a wonderful camera. It combines almost mega zoom, tons of features with being pretty much pocketable. I even mentioned that there was a strong possibility that I would have one except for one tiny little problem.

IT DOESN'T HAVE A VIEWFINDER!!!!!

My last point and shoot piece of junk camera, a vivitar 8400 bought new while on vacation, worked OK. Took decent pictures. But it gobbled batteries like nothing I have seen before. I am fairly certain that I could rig a car battery up to that pig and it would have drained it in a few hours!!!!!

Battery life is a sore spot with me as a result. And I am guessing that a camera that doesn't give me the option of shutting off it's battery sapping LCD is gonna go through them rather quickly. Perhaps this will be an issue with the A2, but, from what I have read, it is pretty good and this one is coming with an extra lithium battery.

There is one other thing about not having the viewfinder. I find that placing the camera up against my big blockhead makes a pretty good poor man's IS. I am much more comfortable shooting this way and I think I can frame my shoots better.

Anyway, I look forward to your tutorial anyway as you seem to be one of the most helpful people here.

So when's the A2 tutorial?

Pete

Old Mar 31, 2008, 10:53 AM   #10

I, too, like bargains, and I have bought cameras on Ebay. If you can get the camera you want for 53 bucks, more power to you. I got a Kodak CX7430 for my sister for $59 recently New. $59. It sold for over $250 when it first came out. I also get 6 free photography lessons. However, if I had had more money, I could have gotten her a much better camera for $100. If you have only 50 bucks or so, well, ok. But if you can spring for $100 or $150, or even $200, it might be worth the extra money.

Smart media cards topped out at 128 megapixels. They're not cheap now. Considering that you can get 1 gigabyte SD cards less than $15 at some places, I would steer clear of cameras that use smart media cards.

I would go for a NEW Canon A570. You can get one online for less than $150. If you want to go cheap and don't care if it's refurbished, I suggest a Canon A550 for less than $100.Go to pricegrabber.com and type in A550.

Sarah's suggestion is a much better camera, but you want an optical viewfinder.

The pleasure that you will get from showing friends the pictures that you took with a very slightly more expensive (but better) camera will be much more than the pleasure you get from showing your friends taken pictures taken with a cheapercamera and then saying, "And I took them with a camera I got on Ebay for $53!"

robbo is offline   Reply With Quote