Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2008, 8:54 PM   #1

Folks,

I have read other posters post that the XTi was really NOT a significant upgrade. What do you think? I was told that the XTi was a really significant upgrade? So I am somewhat confused. I am on a minimum budget, and I want to make the correct move. Perhap JimC can offer some additional info about the Sony DSLR Models that are now out there. I own the A-100, but understand that it has substantially bypassed by either the Sony A-200, or perhaps it is the A-350. JimC I know you have the A-700. But I do not have the cash to go that far up the food chain.

I would really appreciate any input that you might have. Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:45 AM   #2
Administrator

You've got too many cameras. ;-)

Yes, the XTi is considered to be a significant upgrade to the XT. It's got higher resolution, a better Autofocus System (same as used in the EOS-30D), larger buffer, Picture styles and more.

As for the Sony DSLR-A200, it's got a much faster AF system compared to the DSLR-A100, with much lower noise at higher ISO speeds. It also has an available ISO 3200 (missing on the A100, Rebel XT and Rebel XTi).

As for the new DSLR-A350, unless you really need the higher resolution, I'd probably stick to the other Sony models. This camera is probably going to be a hot seller. But, I think 14 Megapixels in an APS-C size sensor is pushing the limits a bit too much for right now. Here's a thread from one poster that returned the A350 for an A200:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=84

Some of the complaints I've noticed about A350 image quality appear to be the default tone curve used (it's a bit flat, probably to help keep noise levels in check). So, Sony may be able to solve that with a firmware upgrade at some point (and you could probably tweak the camera settings to help out). But, I've seen comments from more than one Sony user (and reviewer) that the A350 is lacking in image quality compared to the A200 in some areas.

If you want Live View, I'd stick to the A300 instead (it's more like an A200 with Live View). It shouldn't be too much longer before it's shipping. But, keep in mind that the viewfinder size is smaller with the Sony Live View DSLR models (in order to make room for the separate live view sensor).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks a lot, JimC-

There is a lot of excellent information in your post. The Sony A-200 sounds like a good possible replacement for my K-M 5D.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:18 PM   #4
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you want Live View, I'd stick to the A300 instead (it's more like an A200 with Live View). It shouldn't be too much longer before it's shipping.
It's now shipping (started shipping in the U.S. today).

Sony DSLR-A300 with 18-70mm lens at sonystyle.com for $699.99

Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:49 PM   #5

Thank a lot, JimC-

The A-300 does look nice!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:00 PM   #6
Administrator

I'm not sure I'd want the smaller viewfinder. The viewfinders in the A300 and A350 are smaller than the viewfinder in the KM 5D, Sony A100 or A200, in order to make room for the extra Live View sensor.

On the other hand, the live view seems to work nicely from reports I've seen. It's two sensor design allows you to use the main 9 point AF Sensor assembly for Autofocus while using Live View, and it and even gives you active AF points on the LCD's live view.

So, you may find yourself using the LCD for framing more. There are Pros and Cons to it (with a con being a smaller optical viewfinder compared to the Sony models without Live View).