Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:54 PM   #11

mtclimber you have been very helpfull and i am greatfull.

the z712 looks like a great candidate as i studied it alot and saw alot of sample pics and what it can really do and i'm impressed with the pictures for sure.

what my main question in this case was if the micfrophone on the z712 was of the same poor quality as the z812 or if it was superior.

as it stands i may just go ahead and buy the z712.
carlsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:03 PM   #12

Carl, please call me Sarah. That is my name.

The best camera, hands down, for videao clips, and sound, and everyones agrees on this one, is the Canon S3 or Canon S5 It records in stereo sound. The S5 sells for around $(US) 320.00 and the S-3 for about $(US) 270.00. The Z-712 has good sound but it is clearly not as goos as the S-3/S-5 combo.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:13 PM   #13

oh ok sarah, i did not know that

honestly i'm not looking for perfect sound, i'm more interested in the fact that it doesn't distort if i bring it to a concert.

other than that if the z712 does not distort like it's bigger brother i'm getting one now.....
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:22 PM   #14

what can you tell me about the Sony CyberShot DSC-H7 or it's higher sony counterparts??? you think they would be better than the kodak or canon?? they seem to be in the same genre of cameras
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:01 PM   #15

Carl, please let's be serious-

What exactly is your budget?? The Kodak Z-712 is selling for less than $(US) 200.00 at Beach Cameras, while the Sony H-7 is selling for $(US) 280.00. That kind sir is a HUGE difference.

I will check out here, Carl, as this is all data that you can gether just as well as me.

I have given you a great suggestion for less than $(US) 200.00. Now it is up to you.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:06 PM   #16

yes you are right but if you noticed i said i would want to spend 300 or less so 280 is alot more feasable.

he reasoni asked about the sony is because sonys always had good picture quality.

as for the kodak z712 it's a great camera and i might go ahead and buy it but if the microphone distorts like z812 then i will be dissapointed.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:22 PM   #17

Carl-

I cannot provide that specific information. I never take video clips.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:54 PM   #18

carlsandoval wrote:
Quote:
yes you are right but if you noticed i said i would want to spend 300 or less so 280 is alot more feasable.

he reasoni asked about the sony is because sonys always had good picture quality.

as for the kodak z712 it's a great camera and i might go ahead and buy it but if the microphone distorts like z812 then i will be dissapointed.
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Kodak Z712IS or the Sony H7 in terms of image quality. The Kodak is cheaper and its menu system is better than the Sony. The Sony's macro ability (down to 1 cm) is much better than the Kodak (12 cm).

If price were no object, I'd take the Sony H7 over the Kodak mainly because of the Sony's macro ability, as I love to shoot macros. However if you buy the Sony, be prepared for a frustrating time learning to live with its menu system.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 9:05 PM   #19

Well said, Andy-

I agree totally with you. The Kodak has the most useable and straight forward menu system. The H-7 takes a much longer time and much more motivated will to learn and deal with. Sony is not an easy camera to deal with! How do I know, Well, for straters, I own a H-7.Hey, Carl are you listening??

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 3, 2008, 1:15 PM   #20

Carl-

Here is another posibility. This is a new camcorder beeing released by Sony. It has Dolby Sound, high quality optics and can also take still photos.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images