Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:51 PM   #1

hi everyone,

my name is carl and i'm writing from naples italy, i've been searching across the internet for a good model that i can snap pics with and have great videos also.

it doesn't have to have giant megapixels, heres what i'm looking for.

pictures:sharp pictures with rich colors and pic that havean SLR feel to them.

zoom:anything over 2x and i can also use in video mode and focuses quickly with the video

video: it has to be at least vga at 30 fps and needs an image stabilizer to keep it steady, because i'm a drummer my hands are often shaking a bit, good auto light effect, so if its a bit more dimm inside than outside it make the image brighter and not look bad. also the microphone can be mono or stereo as i'm not picky but seeing as i plan on using this at concerts also it has to capture the sound without distorting, the only camera that i personally used and worked fine was the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-L1 but it wasn't mine and it worked wonders.

also i'd like to capture good pics in low light without using flash (concerts) and having the image not come out blurry because i didn't use flash.

and as for the size it doesn't have to be huge like an slr or small like a mini compact but a decent normal size.

the cameras i currently own is the canon powershot A60 witch has 2 megapixels and is a great camera and has a ton of manual controls and i'v taken great pics with it and it it probably the best thing i've owned but the quality is to small,it has low zoom.shoots move in 320x280 at 15 fps and are terribly grainy in normal light and the sound is bad and has a tiny screen and uses 4 batteries like it's nobodies buisness and still uses the old CF cards.

the other camera i own is a fuji finepix a350 witch is a decent camera and uses sd cards and only 2 batteries and takes decent 5 mp pics but terrible video, after about 40 seconds the video and audio go out of sync,it has zero manual controls and is an all around terrible camera that takes decent pics.

i'm sure there is a camera that can match my criteria and with all you pros here i'm sure someone has a good answer, i'm looking to spend 300 dollars or less and keep in mind i've looked at literally 100's of models in the last few years and i thought it i spend my money it has to be on a god product that i don't have to change in a few years, even if its an older model thats fine as long as it gets the job done matching my criteria.

again thank you to everyone for the help
carlsandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:57 PM   #2

Carl-

Both the Canon SX-100 and the Sony H-3 have 8mp and 10X optical zoom. Either of these two cameras will be a huge improvement over you Canon A-60. Take a look at both of these cameras.

If you could tell us more about the specific kind photos you like to take, that would be a big assist to us who are standing by to help you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:43 AM   #3

i don't have a specific type of picture.

but it needs to be sharp and have little noise and have a SLR feel to them

rich colors also need to be in there too.......i'm sorry but i thought my explaination in my first post was enough as far as describing what kind of pictures i was after.

is there something else i should have said? :?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:21 AM   #4

carlsandoval wrote:
Quote:
i don't have a specific type of picture.

but it needs to be sharp and have little noise and have a SLR feel to them

rich colors also need to be in there too.......i'm sorry but i thought my explaination in my first post was enough as far as describing what kind of pictures i was after.

is there something else i should have said? :?
Sarah give you two good possibilities.
There are also the Fuji S5700 and Kodak Z712 or Z812.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:02 AM   #5

Good Morning, Andy-

It's just a thought, but Carl has indicated he desires a sort of SLR feel to his new camera. That makes your suggestion of the Fuji S-700 (which is called the S-5700 outside of the USA), the Kodak Z-712, and Z-812 perhaps a bit more on target, as they to have that feel that he looking for in his new camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:45 PM   #6

wow those 2 kodaks blew my mind, the only differnce i noticed between the 2 is that one takes HD videos and the other vga.........and the megapixels, i think they differ by one or two mp's.

i'm going to read up on them on steves site and see what he says about them then i'll see if i can find some video reviews on youtube.

i was a little iffy about kodaks as i was looking at a smaller model that had HD recording and 12 megapixels but everywhere i read says that the pics came out grainy because of cramming alot of megapixels into a point a shoot so i stayed clear.

does the image stabilization work on both cameras in video mode also???

YES!!! i read that the stabilization does work in video mode.

one thing though i also read is that the microphone is pretty bad and distorts the sound when it gets too loud.

is thera a model like the panasonic but delivers great sound even in high volume areas???

Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:07 PM   #7

My $0.02 worth. The main complaints on the audio quality of videos on the Kodaks has been directed at the Z812. When it came on the market a number of people rushed out to buy it as an HD video camera for live concerts. It's not the tool for that application. By the same token there haven't been anywhere near the same level of complaints about the audio on the Z612/Z712 which shoot regular 640x480 video. I suspect most of us that have a Z612 or a Z712 bought it as a still camera so the video is almost irrelevantfunction.

I have tried to simulate the "awful sound" on my Z612 with recorded music played through a high quality sound system and I can't get it to misbehave. Whether that means you absolutely need live music to overload the system or that the Z612 is better I don't know.

Based on the samples I've seen Kodaks best HD video function on a still camera would be the Z1275 and Z1285 (1285 incorporates optical image stab. as well.) My choice for a long zoom camera, if I were to replace my Z612 would be a Z712 and then a Z812 in that order.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:00 PM   #8

thanks for your info ac.smoth,it is much appreciated, i wonder if the Z612 is the same as it's 2 bigger brothers with the difference being its a 6 megapixel compaired to it's 7 and 8 bigger brothers.

if thats the case and you say it's as good as you say it is i think i may have a winner.

i have been looking at the Finepix S5800 witch is also a super zoom like the kodaks, can anyone here tell me witch one of these finepix is better and if they are better than the kodaks?

again help much appreciated,i'm close to deciding.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:28 PM   #9

Carl-

I own the Kodak Z-612 and Z-712. I am also a professional digital camera instructor. I have had many students in my classes complain about the sub par video clip performance of their Kodak Z-812 cameras. The Z-712 would be my choice, it has a full 12X optical zoom, and Image stabilization. It is currently at a record low selling price.

The Fuji S-5700 was sold in the USA as the Fuji S-700, it is a good camera, but it does not have Image Stabilization, nor does it have a fast lens. It is a F 3.5 lens at it widest aperture. It zoom is from 38mm to 380mm in 35mm terms. That means is a 10X optical zoom camera. The only difference between the S-5700 and the S-5800 is that the increase the resolution from 7.2mp to 8.0 mp. That is really not a significant change at all.

A.C. Smith was very correct in his report on the Z-812 video clips.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:30 PM   #10

Carl-

Here is a Kodak Z-712ISO 800 Test Photo that I shot.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images