Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:11 PM   #21

Wow! Those both look a lot better. I guess I thought I was shooting the last picture with a low ISO but I must have been wrong.

I am seriously considering the F50fd. I like the looks of the panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 too, because it seems like the macro shooting would be better, but I guess the Fuji would perform better under difficult shooting situations and seems like it has the least noise at higher ISO settings. Does everyone agree that the fuji would be a better camera for me? I really appreciate all the help
Cwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:11 PM   #22

Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:40 PM   #23

My reservation about the FZ18 is that it has relatively poor high-ISO performance. A good website to check out is DCResource.com, as Jeff (the reviewer/owner) runs 2 separate high-ISO tests for each camera, using the same scenes and lighting conditions, so you can make direct comparisons between cameras.

Here's a pic from Jeff's ISO test. The top portion is from the Fuji F50, the bottom from the Panny FZ18. You can see how much more detail is saved by the Fuji. These are both ISO 800.
Attached Images

brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:42 PM   #24

Yes, I think the F50fd is what I am going to get

Thanks so much for the help!
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:46 PM   #25

Another option to consider is the Fuji F20. It uses the same sensor and lens as the F30/F31, but does not have as much in the way of manual controls. However, you can manually set the ISO, which in turn will automatically set the shutter speed.

Although the F20 has been discontinued, you can get a refurbished one from Buy.com for $100 + shipping. I have a refurbed F20, and it's a very good P&S camera. Here's the same ISO 800 test for the F20/F30 cameras:

Attached Images

Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:50 PM   #26

One last thing: no matter which camera, be prepared to spend a little time post-processing important images. When shooting thru glass, I increase the contrast and sharpening in Photoshop. Many image editing programs will have a feature called "Unsharp Mask", which, despite the name, does increase a pic's sharpness.

There is a free version of Noiseware called Noiseware Community Edition, available at http://www.imagenomic.com. Get it, learn it, love it. :lol: Seriously, play around with it, check out it's factory pre-sets, and you will find it will remove quite a bit of the noise without completely destroying detail.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:42 AM   #27

All very good advice, BrokenBokeh. I also have a F-20 for those shots that need High ISO. It is a good little camera.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote