Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:29 PM   #1

Any opinions on the SD1100 versus the SD870IS? It would be nice to know why you chose one over the other.

I just lost my G7 (fell out of my coat pocket on the Matterhorn atDisneylandand I didn't notice in time...). It didn't get turned in after 3 days, so someone has my camera, and more importantly my pictures!

The G7 was awesome, but it turned out I was carrying it around with no strap or case so I could put it in my pocket. That's a clear indication I need a smaller camera. It had great image quality on it's automatic modes, so I'm hoping for that in an ultracompact.

The SD870IS looks great, but has no optical viewfinder.

I've owned Canons in the past (EOS-1D. G5, G7) and liked them, so there would have to be something really compelling to switch brands.

Thanks in advance.
mikeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2008, 1:20 PM   #2

Mike-

The Canon SD-870 has a 28mm wide angle, that a lot of folks like a lot. The SD-1100 does not have a wide angle, and it is not quite as sharp as the SD1000.

The SD-850 is also a very good choice and might save you some $$.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback. Image quality is huge for me, but I'm really worried about the lack of a viewfinder. Do you find that to be an issue?

$$$ aren't a huge deciding factor for me.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:37 PM   #4

The Canon SD850IS has a viewfinder as well as a high resolution LCD.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:46 PM   #5

Jeez, I'm sorry to read about the loss of your G7. Would have been nice (and honest) for someone to turn it in...

It seems that the optical viewfinder is a disappearing feature in digicams. I've noticed that even in digicams that have an OV, they are tiny and sometimes do not show all of the scene.

What kind of photos do you plan on taking? Any idea on zoom level, wide angle, etc.?

brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 4:03 PM   #6

The camera will mainly be used for candids. Spontaneous pictures on trips, at parties, and other every day events. I will also take it backpacking and hiking (man I loved the G5's battery life for that). Any picture that is close to good, I will edit on the PC for cropping and other fixes.

The only real art I'll do with it is turning off the flash and using the self timer to create a poor mans tripod for low light pictures with no flash. Sometimes I play with the macro also.

I do also like the movie features built into cams. For example I took a movie of a group of us on a roller coaster at Disneyland. Doesn't have to be high quality, because the camera is bouncing around anyway, but sound is nice.

For any serious photography I'll pull out the DSLR and the big glass.

I'll look at the 850IS. Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:28 AM   #7

Mike-

I hapen to believe that the Canon SD-870 or the SD-850 are very good "pocket" cameras. Here is an 870 sample.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 5:04 AM   #8

You cancheck out the25 most recent articles

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0802/08...00isreview.asp

I just got the new released Canon PowerShot SD1100IS, works well for me. it's a deal price of $220

http://www.***************/searchdeal...980&ru=290
caf120 is offline   Reply With Quote