Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 8, 2008, 4:57 PM   #1

Hi all, im new here and i am going on vacation in a couple of months and i am not sure which camera to purchase. I had only had a canons before and i was satisfied by its performance and build quality. i have been looking at the SD 870 IS but i would like to know other rivals which are as good or better than the Canon. I take many outdoor shots along with many indoor party shots. I would also like it if the camera would take good night pictures. I would also like a camera thats compact so its not a burden being carried around. I am not too savy with the manual modes but i know a few things. Also im not sure about the wide lense and regular lense so if the difference can be explained i would appreciate it, but i do not perfer any thus far. Thanks, Igor
igore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:26 PM   #2

When used indoors and at night, point and shoot cameras depend mostly on the flash. If your subject is more than 10 feet away, the flash will not work well. When you can't use a flash, most point and shoot cameras will struggle to get a picture that's properly exposed and not ruined by excessive noise or the camera's noise reduction software.

The Canon SD870IS is a very good ultracompact camera but it will have the problems I described above. Probably the best small cameras in low light conditions are the Fuji F40fd and F50fd, though they are getting hard to find.

One thing you could do to get good low light shots is buy a camera with a very good flash. However the cameras that have powerful flash's are likely to be larger than pocket sized, like the Sony H3.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 6:48 PM   #3

Andy pretty well described the challenges that you face-

The Fuji F-20 is still available and is really a great camera. Take a look at this photo sample. It was taken with a Fuji F-20 at ISO 1600 totally without flash. Would this be the kind of camera you are really looking for in your search??

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:16 PM   #4

Thanks for the great advise... Now ive been searching the site and ive come down to a couple of cameras but im not sure which is the best. i can get my hands on
fuji 530, f40, f50, f100, and the cannon 870 IS or other great cameras such as the Panasonic Lumix series. im just wondering which have the greatest picture quality, outside and in.. i thinka lot of my pictures will also be outside in sunny weather. But mainlyi want a camera thats good all around with great clearity, contrast and color. I have never owned cameras other than a canon so im not sure as to which is best. most of my pictures will be of people and mmaybe some of scenary... thanks for your input.... and from a few things that ive read, the f30 does not do to well under sunny conditions... i do not know how accurate this is though.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:37 PM   #5

I own two Canon A cameras, the A570IS and A720IS and find that both of them are excellent all-purpose cameras that are great to bring on a vacation because they're relatively small and run on AA batteries (they have very good battery life unless you use alkalines).

If you must have an ultracompact, the "Elph" cameras from Canon are very good, as are most of the FS and FX cameras from Panasonic and the newer S cameras from Nikon (especially the S700). The Fuji F20, F30, F40 and F50 are good cameras indoors, but I don't think the picture quality outdoors is as good as the other cameras I mentioned. I've read some good and bad about the new Fuji F100.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:53 PM   #6

igore-

Now it is the time to tell us, quite honestly, where your priorities might lie. Are you indeed interested in a high SO capapable camera, or just an ordinary camera. I ask that question, quite honestly, because you have made extensive reference to many cameras.

What kind of camera, really interests you? Is it a high ISO capable camera, or just a rather ordinary point and shoot camera. I am sincerely willing to help you. However, your answers are very, very confusing.

If your photographic knowledge is indeed limited. Please admit it, and we will help you. But please do not just sit there and attempt to bluff us. it just creates unnecessary confusion.

Thanks for your help.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:55 PM   #7

Hi, sorry for the confusion lol... i am looking for an all around point and shoot camera that produces great pictures inside and out.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:17 PM   #8

igore-

My humble suggestion is that you invest in a Canon SD-850 camera. It is a very good camera, and will serve you well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:22 PM   #9

thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated... since im not in a hurry to get a camera i think i'll search around a little more and try to narrow it down to a couple
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:42 PM   #10

igore-

That sounds like a very good idea. If we can help you any more, please let us know.

Sarah Joyce