Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:44 AM   #1

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a camera and am hoping you could help me out, as I am clueless...I'm doing quite a bit of traveling over the next year, including Spain so I want to get lots of pictures.

So as I said I really don't know much of anything about cameras. But I want to get a digital camera that takes good pictures, doesn't have to be amazing but I want them to be good. And I'd like it to take them fast. For the camera I have now [which also takes quite bad pictures], you push the button, then 5 seconds later you have a picture...and thats what I don't want. Other than that I don't know of anything I think I'd like. Maybe a decent optical zoom, but that doesn't matter too much.

And [obviously?] it should have a memory card slot for sd or mmc or something so I have enough storage space.

So if anyone could give me a few cameras that would be like what I want, or just tell me what to look for in specifications so I could find one I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch. ~Clayton.

edit::forgot to say price range...up to a few hundred dollars is fine. Nothing more than $500.
Yalcton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:50 AM   #2

The two cameras I own, the Canon A720IS and A570IS, are excellent cameras for vacations. They're relatively small, take great pictures, and run on AA batteries. They are also very quick and have virtually no shutter lag in good light.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:05 AM   #3

Do you have a size preference? There's bunches of cameras from Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Fuji that quite nicely fit the bill.
brokenbokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:21 AM   #4

Thanks Andy, I'll definitely check into those...

And as for size, I don't think I really mind, as long as its smaller than say, a toaster =P
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:34 AM   #5

Yalcton-

Personally, I like the smaller size and the mostly metal construction of the Canon SD series. The Canon A-570IS and the A-720IS cameras are excellent, but not quite an ideal travel camera size. I recently purchased theSD-850IS specifically as a travel camera. It is fast in its operation and it uses SD cards.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:15 PM   #6

I just returned from two weeks vacation in South Africa. I shot about 1800 picture with the 720IS and left about 600 after continuous deleting. My experience was:

- On sunny days, it is quite impossible to use its Live View. Please be aware of this. You cant see a think. Perhaps the 640, 650 etc with Canon would be better (if you want Live View) since you can twist the screen.
- I an ensure you that I consumed 7 sets of 2 AA-batteries and some of them Nickel or some other heavy metal. I did not have my recharger with me, but this is a pre-requisite with this camera and the live-view (although I often did not useit because of above). Also for this reason, 4 batteries would better such as the 6X0-series of Canon.
- I have not had time to print but I assume the quality of the photos is very good for its size. I had the 710IS earlier and its photos were nice.

Personally, I am about to buy a full-size camera now. Weight and size is an issue for me so I'll go for something relatively small. Good luck!
Mikael A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:33 PM   #7

Your experience with the A720IS doesn't match mine at all. Any bad photos I take are as a result of my incompetance, not the camera's.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:55 PM   #8

Yalcton-

Selecting that 1st digital camera is dificult. Perhaps another suggestion might be helpful. Why not that a look at the Kodak Z-712 camera. It has 12X optical zoom, IS, an excellent selection of Scene Modes, and it really is a lot of camera for its selling price of under $(US) 200.00.

Here is a photo sample from the Z-712 camera. If you would like to see more photo samples, I would be happy to provide some.

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:47 PM   #9

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. When I get I chance I'll go try some of those out in person for myself before I decide anything.

Also, mostly for my curiosity, what is it that makes taking a picture fast, or take a while? Shutter speed right? Is there any standard measurement that would be under the specifications of a camera to help you know how fast it is? If so how would I go about understanding that? Thanks in advance... ~Clayton
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:03 PM   #10

Clayton-

Yes indeed there is a standard timing protol that is used. I has to do with: (1) the "boot-up" time. That is how fast your camera is ready to take your photo. (2) How much shutter lag there might be. That is the time from when you press the shutter release, until the photo is actually taken. (3) It is the time that your camera takes to process and store your photo to the camer's flash memory card.

Does that clear it up for you? I hope so.

Sarah Joyce