Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:51 PM   #1

I've been looking some "advanced" point & shoot cameras.

The Nikon p5100 looks very good to me, but I've got nothing to compare with.

Millions of posts are about p5100 VS G9, but G9 is too expensive and too big for me.

What about the Panasonic TZ5??? (i know its not out jet but its very similiar to TZ3, so, compare with this one please)

Wich other cameras do you recommend me???

Also, some reviews point that the worst thing about p5100 is that it's soooooo slow, is it?

It's too hard to buy a camera
terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2008, 8:30 PM   #2

terran-

I am sorry to say there is something of a contradiction in your post. You first menton the Nikon P-5100 which has received a lot of praise. However, it only has 2.8 optical zoom.

Then you raise the possibility of the Panasonic TZ-5. The camera has indeed reached the market, and it is readily available. However, the TZ-5 is a 10X optical zoom camera with a woefully limited flash. What amount of zoom are you really looking for in this new camera?

Waht is your budget? Is physical size a priority we should take into consideration? Then you ask which other camera we might recommend? Well the Sony H-3 should be considered. It has 10X optical zoom, a great flash range, and it is one of the best cameras on the market today, when used in the Automatic Mode.

We're here, and we are certainly willing to help. However, I sincerely believe we need a few clarifications, so that we can move onwards. Thanks!

I hope you are enjoying a great weekend!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:24 AM   #3

I think you are right, maybe my post was a little confusing.
Well, im not english. I'm spanish (from Barcelona :bye and my english it's getting worse every day hehehe. Sorry for that!

This summer I'm going to do an Interrail (it's a special ticket train that let europeans travel all Europe super cheap). So, I'll visit Turkey, Greece, Italy, France.... etc and I will make a billion photos.

Then, I want a camera, not an SLR because they are big and pricy, but not a super simply camera. Something in the middle.

I dont care too much about mega pixels and zoom. I just want a good camera that make goooooooood photos.

So, I have been looking some info and I've read about some cameras: Nikon P5100, P60, Lumix L1...) and now, the Sony H3 (and H10) wich look very good at first sight!

I can pay around 300€ (the same in dollars I guess) but.... I dont care too much about price if I get a better compact camera, but it seems that there aren't any clear "product leader" for this segment.

Thank you very much for helping me!!!
terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:27 AM   #4

terran

Yes, I do understand,where you are at, and the decisions regarding cameras that you must make. I am sure that someone in the EU will be able to help you much better than I here in the USA.

Have a great summer and a even better holiday!

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:49 AM   #5

terran wrote:
Quote:

Millions of posts are about p5100 VS G9, but G9 is too expensive and too big for me.

What about the Panasonic TZ5??? (i know its not out jet but its very similiar to TZ3, so, compare with this one please)

Also, some reviews point that the worst thing about p5100 is that it's soooooo slow, is it?

Here are links to two reviews of the TZ5.
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5222...x-dmc-tz5.html
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa..._DMC_TZ5_TZ15/
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:43 PM   #6

AndyfromVA wrote:
Quote:
terran wrote:
Quote:

Here are links to two reviews of the TZ5.
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/5222...x-dmc-tz5.html
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa..._DMC_TZ5_TZ15/
Old Apr 13, 2008, 3:50 PM   #7

The reviews of the Panasonic TZ-5 have been pretty good. It is an automatic camera, so as long as you at ease with the lack of manual controls, it might be a good choice. It is uniquely positioned as the smallest and most compact ultrazoom.

The reviews of the Nikon P-5100 have been less favorable. It is supposedly positioned to compete with the Canon G-9. It is rather small, smaller in fact, than the G-9, and like the G-9, the P-5100 also has a hotshoe. There are a growing number of enthusiastic P-5100 users.

Sarah Joyce