Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 13, 2008, 1:33 PM   #1

It looks like there are three new models coming that might need to be considered- the Nikon P80, Sony DSC-H50 and the Kodak Z1012IS. Unfortunately, besides specs I have found no reviews or evaluations of these models. I am willing to wait a bit, but not longer than a month or two.

I read with interest the April 11 posting and hadreached a similar conclusion about the Canon S5 IS and the Panasonic FZ18 (before seeing press releases on the above). I found an S5 in a store and liked the way it handled. I can find no FZ18 in our area soI thought I had a reasonable answer.With the entrance of new modelsI am not so sure.

Regarding intentions, we want the camera to do everything understanding compromise is required. We go on wilderness trips, so it needs to be reasonably light,compact andsturdy, with an easily viewd LCD screen and good conservation of battery power. Some pictures are taken in canoes or horseback, so one-handed operation is a plus and image stabilization is required. Pictures range from moving wildlife at distance to portraits at family gatherings to macros. Most pictures will be during the day, but dawn and dusk pictures will be taken. Image quality suitable for posters is desired. Flashwill probably not be usedfor the majority of shots. Price is not as important as the other factors above. I suspect we will follow with our first dslr in a few months for those times that size, weight and one-hand operation are less of an issue and superior image quality is desired (leading candidate: Nikon D80 followed closely byCanon Xsi; with a macro, intermediate zoom and 70-300 lens).

Understanding we won't get everything we want ina singlenon-dslr "super" zoom camera (but we willtry, anyway), where do these new models fit into the mix? Any help would be much appreciated!
pa_buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:57 PM   #2

In all fairness to the other manufacturers, I believe there are more than just three new super zoom cameras on the market, but perhaps you've already eliminated them from consideration. I'm also trying to figure out from your post whether or not you've already eliminated the S5 and FZ18 from contention, also...and if so, why? Knowing the reasons would help us help you.

A couple of statements you made have me a bit concerned; "...dawn and dusk pictures will be taken. Image quality suitable for posters is desired. Flashwill probably not be usedfor the majority of shots." So you intend to purchase a point and shoot digicam, take low light photos, without flash, and plan on blowing them up to poster size...I think you're asking for a lot here, and I hope you're not terribly disappointed with the results.

I hate to recommend a camera purchase based on specifications, so I won't start now. But if you plan on achieving your stated goals, please take a look at the new Fuji S100fs. It has a much larger sensor than any of the cameras you've mentioned herein, so the low light potential is much better. It also has a ton of desirable features, such as manual zoom and focus rings, 28-400mm zoom, 1cm super macro focus distance, and 11MP for those huge blowups you're planning on. It's not a compact cam, but I don't know any that would come close to satisfying your particular needs.

This camera has been discussed in this forum before;

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=87

...complete with links to some user photos.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:12 PM   #3

pa_buzzard-

Perhaps you might be looking at either the Panasonic FZ-18 or the Fuji S-8000 cameras. If you give some more information, perhaps the dialogue can begin.

There are a lot of good options out there in the ultrazoom field, but if you don't answer, we will never be able to get anything started.

I will hope to read your reply soon. Have a great day!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:19 AM   #4

Thanks to you both. I apologize for the delay- I am trying to do some camera homework and work-work.

First, we are replacing a Nikon Coolpix 4300, which we likedbut it is long past timefor amajorupgrade. I suspect any of the models mentioned would probably be a significant upgrade we would be happy with for a while! I am just trying to make the best choice for the many shots we will likely try.

My first cut, along with so many other posters, was the S5 IS and the FZ18. I have tried the S5 IS in teh store and think it would probably work well for us. I have been unable to find the FZ18 locally (Walmart has it online but not at the local store). That leaves the FZ18 out of the mix at this time.

TheNikon website identified a local store so I'll be able to findthe Nikon P80. I have not gotten to the store yet, and probably won't for a week or so. Unfortunately I have not foundreviews on the web besides the release announcement. I don't trust myself to make theappropriate comparisons personally. In the absence of review confirmation the P80 may be out of the mix.

The Sony H50 is not out yet, apparently, and I find no reviews.

The Kodak Z1012IS I have not found locally, nor haveI found reviews.

On the web Walmart has the S8000 and S8100 (S8000 replacement, I think), but locally itdoes not. I don't see reviews on the S8100 and the reviews I see on the S8000 seem to indicate the FZ18 (and by implication the S5 IS?) is a better all-around choice. Medium ISO performance is said to be an issue.

I appreciate the heads-up on the S100fs. If we could find it locally it might be a viable alternative to our first dslr. I have not found it locally, either.

Given current informationthe S5 IS appears to be the choice. As much as I like living in the midwest, local camera selection does not appear particularly good. If reviews warrant, we may have to drive to Minneapolis or Kansas City to try some other options.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:33 PM   #5

pa-buzzard-

Thank you foryour detailedupdate on your ultrazoom camera search. It might help in knowing that the Nikon P-80, the Fuji S-8000 and S-8100, and the Olympus SP-550 and SP-560 seem to share the same family genes when it comes to external shape, apperance,and physical handling, as you can see from the attached photo of the Fuji S-8000 side by side with the Olympus SP-550. Of course, each manufacturer hasmade small internal and small external changes to give their camera more corporate identity. However, the lenses all appear to be the same.

The Canon S-5 is a very good candidate in your search and it includes a hotshoe for an external flash which could be helpful and a rotatable (Vari Angle) LCD screen.

Sarah Joyce

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:47 PM   #6

VERY helpful, thank you! I think I have a path forward.

This wasmy first experience asking for help on this site (no doubtobvious), and the reputation is well-deserved.

pa_buzzard