Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:35 AM   #1

I am looking to buy a waterproof camera to use as a secondary camera for those times when I need to shot photos in the rain/showers or around fire hoses that are spraying water..... Over the past year I have missed several items I wanted to capture because of rain showers outside.

I already own the Fuji S9100 and have 3x 1GB xD cards, several CF cards and a many sets of AA rechargeables.

I started by looking for a waterproof housing for the Fuji S9100 but their is not one available for it.

I have been looking at some of the olympus models but have not had a chance to do much research. My primary concern is that many watertight or waterproof models are expensive and many use properitery batteries/packs. That concerns me because I don't plan to use the camera all that much and worry that when the need comes the battery may be dead or less than charged and die quickly on me.

Also I would consider replacing my current Fuji with a new watertight/water proof model if the right camera came aroumd. 10x or greater optical zoom. BUILT IN Lens, AA batteries (if at all possible) hot shoe flash connector on top and ability to use large cards (I already have xD and CF cards).

My camera is currently used for capturing images of fire and rescue stuff of all kinds plus pictures that are used for a local newspaper. The images for that have to be 4MP or higher and I have been shooting at 5MP for the most part. It would also be nice to have higher MP resolution available such as 8 or 9 or 10 for those times when I want to make big prints for once in a lifetime shot.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:57 AM   #2

You can buy the Olympus 790 SW at Newegg.com for $212. That's your best bet for a waterproof camera, in my opinion.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:46 PM   #3

Photo 5-

Pentax also has a line of waterproof cameras, such as the W-20 model. However, there none that I know of that have 10X optical zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:50 PM   #4

I think what you're talking about is 'weatherproof' not 'waterproof'. Weatherproff means it can survive the conditions you've described. Waterproof means it can be submerged.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 7:07 PM   #5

TCav-

Yes, I am speaking very clearly and precisely about the camera's submersion into liquid water, both salt water and fresh water. Where is the confusion?

Sarah Joyce

Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:14 PM   #6

dave,

How about something like this?

http://www.adorama.com/EWUFX.html?se...amp;item_no=73

With this, you can still use your camera.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:14 PM   #7

No, Rinnie-

I am NOT speaking about plastic bags, or the like. I am talking about taking a camera underwater, to a depth of 5' to 15' and taking photos.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:23 PM   #8

Thans to everyone for the replies. What I am after is a camera I can use in rain showers. That is why I said waterproof but I may have used the wrong term. I thought any camera that was weaterproof could be weather proof.

The marine housing bags look good but they are very expensive and it looks like I can get a camera for almost the same price and getting a camera has one advantage I would now have a dedicated backup.......

Will the Olympus 790 SW work in rain showers?

Thanks again for all the replies so far

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:35 PM   #9

Dave-

Yes, the Olympus SW-790 will work, but it has terrible IQ. Try something like the Pentax W-20, you will actually get much better results. I know because I have done it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:16 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I am speaking very clearly and precisely about the camera's submersion into liquid water, both salt water and fresh water. Where is the confusion?
I was responding to the OP's use of the term 'Waterproof', not yours. The conditions the OP talked about only require a 'Weatherproof' camera, not a 'Waterproof' camera. The Pentax Optio W40 that you mentioned is, as you state, a 'waterproof' camera, and would, of course, meet the OP's requirements. But there are lesser 'weatherproof' cameras that will do as well, which would broaden his or her choices considerably.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote